WATER IN MY FLOOR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > WATER IN MY FLOOR

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-09-2001, 08:20 PM   #1
lonegunman

WATER IN MY FLOOR

Today I was vacuuming out my yj and discovered that the carpet in the front two floorboards was wet with water. DOUGH!!!! My top is in good shape and so are the doors. The heater core is good too. There is no trace at all where water has been coming in. I think it may be coming from under the dash somewhere though. The transmssion hump is dry. This jeep is in excellent shape. I left the dash control on "vent" the last time it rained. Could this be it? Has anyone had this to happen to them or know the cure?

lonegunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2001, 02:11 AM   #2
JPMan-TJ

I know you have a YJ - but, the 1997 TJ's had a leaking problem on the right side from the vents up top, behind the hood on the outside of the vehicle. Would leak in behind the dash, the heat would dry it up underneath except the carpet. Took them awhile to figure out what was up. (hence there is only 1 "vent" opening in the 98+ TJ's in stead of the 3 "vents" that the 97 TJ had.) Now you are asking, YJ - TJ? what comparision? Well, there maybe some sort of hole, or something up top there? Worth taking a look. As to the vents being open. well.... I doubt it, but possible.

------------------
Raymond
Kansas City,Ks.
2000 TJ Sport 4.0L

Wrangler.AllOffRoad.Com
Midwest Jeep Thing Club
KC Jeep Club

"Paved Roads - Another Form Of Government Waste!"
Unread 03-10-2001, 05:06 PM   #3
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This might be some interest to you. Very common problem with CJ's and YJ's is a leak from the dash. Rust had gotten into the dash and ate things up pretty good. It would leave puddles in the front. Anyway, you can read what I did HERE

------------------
Jeff Yokomura
JeepWire & 4Banger United
1992 Wrangler
Unread 03-10-2001, 10:12 PM   #4
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

look at the condition of your weather strip,between the windsheild frame, and the body tub. after about 5 years thy tend to develop leaks there (the weather stripping will shrink over time). the leaks can also ruin your speakers and radio if you let them get worse. (I learned first hand.)
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2001, 10:54 AM   #5
Wilson3821

The same thing happened to me on my '94! Lift up your hood and look down the side of the Jeep where the engine compartment meets the rest of the body (along the fender). You will see a weld which has over time broken loose or cracked. Just put some sealent on this area and it should take care of the leak. Both sides on mine were leaking and I am happy to report that after much rain the floor boards are still dry. If you pull up the carpet you might see the water trail.... To test use a large picture of water and pour in this area and see if the water comes through to the inside....
Wilson3821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2001, 11:35 AM   #6
JR

I had the same problem. I asked about it on another board and some one told me it was coming in with my antenna wire. So I did a silicone job and there was no more water.

------------------
JR 95yj bone stock for now
Unread 03-14-2001, 01:07 PM   #7
smitty93yj

Do you still have the drain plugs in the floor boards? I found the same thing and when I rolled back the carpeting guess what no drain plugs. I filled the holes w/ some new plugs and no more wet spots.
smitty93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2001, 08:45 PM   #8
Brian

I have 94 and found water on the floor boards. If you do a lot of mud riding, check (in the engine by the fire wall) hood vent drain line. Its a small 8 inch hose that sometimes gets pluged with mud and crap. Its easy to remove and clean. Haven't had any problems since.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2001, 03:55 AM   #9
lonegunman

Man oh man!! Has this topic sparked some interest!! Well, I got to looking real close under the dash and saw some sunlight coming through. I found that a rubber plug was half way popped out of the fire wall. I took a screw driver and popped it back in, had my wife (who is 7 months pregnant tee hee) spray the hood with the hose. After soaking me and the jeep, I got that leak fixed. (I think) Now on to the passengers side. I found that water was coming in around the ANTENNA MOUNT. Ill tighten it up and get under there with a little clear permatex tomorrow. Thanks folks. Ill let yall know if I find anything else. -In West Kentucky
lonegunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
bread61
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yes ! help is needed ,its raining now and by the time I leave work today, both sides of the front floor board will be wet not damp but my carpet will be like standing in water
bread61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The cowl vent, is the grill behind the hood hinges, in the center.
it drains through the fire wall via, a large rubber hose under the hood. It's between the engine & battery, & hangs vertically. It's final opening is kind of pinched. Take the grille off the cowl vent & run a garden hose through there to clean it out. Have an assistant hold the "pinch" open, to let the dead leaves come out.
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

LOL! I am not sure if i can remember a time when my floor was dry.... oh wait, yes i do, it was when there was more "hole" then floor... after fixing my floor last year i realized just how bad it was leaking, several inches of water would build up in a single storm. I have it sealed up for the most part now, but every now and then a bit will slip through, ahh well its a Jeep..

Follow this thread, very helpful, A big THX to rusty!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/troubleshooting-water-under-dash-write-up-how-628941/

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Maryland95YJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

has it snowed lately, i know my pans get filled with water just from all the snow i track in in the winter.
Maryland95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
koolaidtwist
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do what I did....pull the carpet, drill a few more holes in the floor and ROLLLLLLLLL...the ride is loud but hey, it's a Jeep...how many people can say 'I just got back from the beach and have to hose the inside of my car out'?
koolaidtwist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not to highjack the thread but I've noticed the leak in my dash when I use the "self spray" carwash. My cd player and my CB radio get wet. Any ways to fix this?

Edit: It's similiar to the OP's issue, but not major enough that my floor gets wet. My muddy boots take care of that

Last edited by Bridges31; 03-13-2009 at 12:18 PM..
Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.