Water leaks behind dash when it rains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water leaks behind dash when it rains

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Yokes_Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Water leaks behind dash when it rains

I could be the detective and try to figure out the leak, but I figured someone may have already encountered this....

When it rains, the water seems to pool somewhere behind the dash. When I crank it and start driving, water just pours from behind the dash/steering column and soaks my pants near the ankle. Is this common and what's the fix?

Thanks,
Yoke

Yokes_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to the Jeep YJ FAQ page. It talks about that problem.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
SwearingYeti
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I have this problem too. Its the rubber grommet between the windshield and the tub. Silicone it if you dont wanna lay your windshield down, or wait till you have the top off and replace it, which is what I plan on doing. Tip, park inside if you can untill you fix it.
SwearingYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

With a name like "ToplessWrangler", I don't think your leak problem has anything to do with the rubber grommet...

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Yokes_Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the posts and the parking in the garage tip. Unfortunately, my wife has kicked my Jeep out of the garage because she bought a '78 VW beetle convertible. Her suburban gets the other spot.
Unread 03-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It could be leaking form three different places. The first place is the cowl duct. (I've never had this problem though.) Another location is under the windshield frame. The seal you see from the front dries and turns into a sponge. It allows water to sit back there and leak onto the instrument panel, behind all the plastic. The other location is from the cowl seam There is a seam right below the windshield where the vertical part of the cowl meets the horizontal part that connects to the hood. The gasket shrinks over time then pulls away from one side. This allows water to leak through the seam and into the Jeep.

I've had the later two leaks. I ended up buying a new instrument panel since rust had formed and eaten away most of the upper lip of the panel. When I installed the new one I first painted both sides (Factory one was only painted on one side.) Then I used silicone to seal the panel to the tub. I've checked it once in a while ahd haven't and leaks since. Haven't got around to replacing the "cowl seal" (what everyone seems to be calling a windshield gromet.)

The cowl seam requires calk to seal the gap. If you really wanted to do it right, you'd unbolt the cowl but that's a major PITA so you can apply calk to the seam from the outside. You can use silicone but it will attract dirt and dust since it's sorta sticky.

Hope that helps you find your leak.
Unread 03-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokes_Jeep
Thanks for the posts and the parking in the garage tip. Unfortunately, my wife has kicked my Jeep out of the garage because she bought a '78 VW beetle convertible. Her suburban gets the other spot.
I guess your legs must get wet, as we can see who wears the pants in your house .. .. get the Suburban outside and tuck that Jeep away.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy
It could be leaking form three different places. ....
Actually four if you include the rubber around the windshield glass itself .. mine had a leak where it allowed water to get into the frame and rotted it out at the bottom.

Quote:
... I ended up buying a new instrument panel since rust had formed and eaten away most of the upper lip of the panel. When I installed the new one I first painted both sides (Factory one was only painted on one side.) Then I used silicone to seal the panel to the tub. I've checked it once in a while ahd haven't any leaks since. Haven't got around to replacing the "cowl seal" (what everyone seems to be calling a windshield gromet.) ...
Same here .. did the same as you to stop it rusting again .. but I also siliconed the cowl seal to the body.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Unread 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jeepster
Actually four if you include the rubber around the windshield glass itself .. mine had a leak where it allowed water to get into the frame and rotted it out at the bottom.
Ah, forgot about that one.
Unread 03-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
blakkbelt

i had the same problem...water poured out of my heating duct when i went around a turn. i had to clean out my cowel vend drainage tube...it was full of mud and wasn't allowing the water to flow through. you should check that out...just look for the black piece of tubing with a tapered end hanging down from the firewall under the hood. i even clipped the tapered part off so it wouldn't happen again....no leaks since.
35x12.50 trxus mt's
tj flares, targa hardtop
RE 4.5 ex duty lift kit
blakkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Eric_D
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe all 4 of the possible water leakage problems could find their way to the FAQ?
Eric_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
wrangler35

i had this happen to me i found that water was comming in through the holes in the top of the windsheild frame where the rail for the soft top screws down . it was standing in the bottum of the windshield frame and running out when you moved
wrangler35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
.... I've had the later two leaks. I ended up buying a new instrument panel since rust had formed and eaten away most of the upper lip of the panel. When I installed the new one I first painted both sides (Factory one was only painted on one side.) ....
Rotted like this ??

The top of the frame had completely rotted away.

This is the body/cowl ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Unread 03-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
Yokes_Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What an EASY fix!!! The cowl duct was definitely the problem. I, too, had to clean out mud from the tapered rubber hose. It looked like chocolate coming out of one of those frosting tubes to decorate a cake (I must be hungry). After that tremendous storm that blew through the South yesterday, if it was gonna leak that would have been the time.....BUT, no water poured on my legs and no puddles on the floor board. Thanks for the help!!!!!
Unread 03-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

My whole windshield frame leaks. It's rusted and needs to be replaced.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.