Water Leaking in under dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Leaking in under dash

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
nancy145
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Water Leaking in under dash

I have replaced the windshield and seal and the cowl and still have water leaking on passenger side. It seems to come in near the speaker and has blown the right speaker out. Any ideas of where else I can check for leaks?

Thanks!

nancy145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nancy,

Sometimes the YJ develop leaks where the front of the door meets the body. Mainly this is when you have the "half doors" with the soft top on. An easy way to check it is to have a friend use a garden hose with the water on "gentle" and then go around the areas systematically. You should be able to tell where the leak is by watching for it on the inside while she/he pours the water slowly on the outside... one place at a time. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

my yj had a plugged drain pan. there was a rubber hose coming out of it that was stapled shut. remove the staple, massaged the tube and viola, 20 years of gunk came out and no more under dash leaks. don't know if that helps but thought I'd throw it out there. I know you said you replaced the cowl, didn't know if that was included.
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
nancy145
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip ISAjeepster. I appreciate it! Might have to wait til spring when it warms up to bring the hose back out. It's getting cold up here. Thanks again!
nancy145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know what your paint/body condition is like but my floor boards would be wet after it would rain. I thought it was the windshield seal at the hinges where it can be folded down. I replaced that with no luck. Next I looked at the air intake for the heating and took all that apart to look for cracks that would allow water to get into the cab. No luck there either. I then looked at where the body/hood area meets the vertical part of the windshield. Mine had the paint from that area chipping away and it looks like there used to be seam sealer there at one point. I know this isn't the right way to do this but im planning on stripping the body down for paint in a year anyways but I took liquid seam sealer for a tent and applied that using a brush to the seam. I haven't had water on my floor boards since..
stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nancy,

I hope you find it when the weather warms up. I know it always embarrassed me to have that side of the jeep leak on passenger's shoes.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you say cowl seal, what are you talking about? Did you reseal that entire seam that is in front of the windshield but behind the hood? What about the windshield wiper opening?
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
chris447
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY View Post
my yj had a plugged drain pan. there was a rubber hose coming out of it that was stapled shut. remove the staple, massaged the tube and viola, 20 years of gunk came out and no more under dash leaks. don't know if that helps but thought I'd throw it out there. I know you said you replaced the cowl, didn't know if that was included.
Just take the hose off, mine fell off in driveway, it was packed with gunk.... or take off the covor and pusg it oit with screw driver
chris447 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.