water leakage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > water leakage

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-30-2001, 06:21 PM   #1
oake

water leakage

In my yj, everytime there is a heavy rainfall, water seems to get in somehow. I have a hardtop, and there seems to be no visable leak spots. Also, I think that it may leak around the windshield, cus it drips under the dash sometimes..........any suggestions?????

oake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2001, 09:14 PM   #2
Bob K

Probably the windshield. I've been through this with my Bimmer and my Jeep. The water is leaking through where the windshield is sealed to the frame. Once this begins to happen it begins to rust and gets progressively worse. Don't believe what anyone tells you about dribbling silicone in to seal it. You have to have the windshield removed (at risk of it being broken!) and only then can a body shop determine if the rust has done irreparable damage. I wound up buying a mint windshield frame from a salvage yard for $100 bucks. For parts like this used is usually better than aftermarket crap. I spent years looking for a cheaper, easier way. This is probably what ya gotta do unless the water is leaking in some other way.

Happy Motorin'
Bob K
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2001, 09:59 AM   #3
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Its not the windsheild, I had the same problem. Its coming in from the air vent on your hood. See, along with air, water gets in there, there should be a drain at the bottom of the vent inside there when u take off the grille there. When looking at the firewall under your hood on the pass. side you can see a rubber hose where the water drains. It is clogged probably in the hose, clear it out and that will solve your problems, otherwise the water wills up in the vent and overflows down into where the air should go to your heater. The water is coming in threw your heater vents.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2001, 05:33 PM   #4
Bob K

I'll try that. I searched in that drain box before, but couldn't find the likely suspect. His problem still could be the windshield frame though. Mine was rusted beyond repair. After replacement I still get some water, but a lot less. Thanks for the info.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2001, 11:42 AM   #5
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

I didnt find anything in my vent box either, however, upon closer inspection of the drain hose, I found it to be completly clogged up.

Unread 12-04-2001, 10:19 PM   #6
oake

how exactly do you get at that hose??

do you need to go underneath or is it visible when you take the vent cover off??
Unread 12-05-2001, 12:07 PM   #7
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Its simple. Just lift up the hood, look back on the back of your firewall on the pass side. Its a rubber tube that runs down, take your fingers and press down from where it starts to where it ends, if u feel that its clogged then just take a hose and shoot it through to unclog it, Most likely, its at the bottom where the end of the hose gets smaller to keep things from getting up in there and to get a constant stream of water, but it makes it very easy to clog up, I just cut off the last inch. Works fine now. I had a whole bunch of crud up in there.

Unread 12-05-2001, 12:19 PM   #8
Signman

OMG!!!
had water leaking in on the driver side, seems to be coming from above or around the e-brake release handle.
Unbolted the top rollbar-windshield, and inside plates and folded the windshield down, no rust but ran a bead of silicone down the entire strip, put everything back in place.
Rained today......still leaking.DAMN!
gonna look a little closer on the inside, but TOTALLY cheesin' me off!

I love my Country,
It's the Government I'm afraid of!
Signman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2001, 06:42 AM   #9
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

It happened to me in my Triumph Spitfire AND in my jeep. Every time I washed it too, it would leak. Rusted out my floor boards, alot of work to fix them for just a damn cloged hose.

Unread 12-06-2001, 03:39 PM   #10
oake

well, my drain hose isn't clogged, just took off the vent cover and put the hose in there, and it came out the other end underneath the car no problem.......

still leaks on the passenger side though......this is getting to be a hassle....

any other suggestions??
Unread 12-06-2001, 04:25 PM   #11
Signman

THATS IT!!!

Im tearin' out the dash, and floodin the outside with water.....THEN, Ill find the DA** leak!

LOL

Cheers,
Ash

I love my Country,
It's the Government I'm afraid of!
Signman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2001, 06:30 PM   #12
oake

signman,

let me know what happens???

Unread 12-06-2001, 06:36 PM   #13
gosling1

I had the same problem with my 94. I found the leak by trial and error. It was leaking at the seam that is above the "JEEP" emblem and runs along the same line as the hood. I used some clear rtv and it has held up for a few months.

chris

Tango Uniform
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.