Water leak under dashboard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water leak under dashboard

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
koreskovich

Water leak under dashboard

I have a 1994 YJ and I am having a problem with water leakage onto my feet on the driver side floors and sometimes the pass. side. Seems like only happens after a rainfall. Could this be from the vent by the hood? Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!

koreskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
stl9898
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Isn't it fun when you are driving and you end up with wet feet? Yes, it is coming from the hood vent. You can buy covers or scoops for that vent that help with sheilding from water...or you can except it as another blessing from the Jeep gods.
stl9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it is from the vent on the hood. Open your hood and look at the pass side of your firewall. You will see a inch wide tube that is tappered at the bottom. Squeeze the bottom to open the tube and most likely crap will come out of it.

This is what drains your hood vent. Keep a eye on it to avoid interior flooding.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
victorbrca
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why do I have water pouring inside my Jeep when it rains? - That is a fairly common occurance. The grill on the top of your engine area (just in front of the windshield) allows fresh air into the Jeep for the heater. It also allows water and snow to collect. There is a drain-hose on the firewall about 1.75" in diameter that can get plugged. Pull off the hose, and tip it upside down. Wash it out with the garden hose in the backyard and then wash the grill-area down as well pouring as much water down as possible to wash all the trapped dirt out. Place the hose back in place and enjoy dry feet again.

You can also add a scoop to the grill area to limit the amount of water/dirt entering the fresh-air intake.
Cheers!!!

Vic
victorbrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
94WorknProgress
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i was having this problem a little while ago and thought it was my vent tube, so i cleaned it out and didn't have a problem for a while, and i thought i had fixed the problem since the vent tube had been somewhat clogged. Then it happened again. what it turned out to be was that in the yj the condensation tube from the a/c runs down through the interior, when i herc'd my tub i got it clogged, and every so often all of the condensation would pour out all over my feet. so check that too.
94WorknProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Project89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That happened on my 89. I had to lean the windshield down on the hood and put sealer where the windshield meets the body. the exsisting seal had deteriorated, water was gettin past the seal and running down behind the dash. hasn't leaked since i sealed it in 2005.
Project89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing and it ended up being that my cowl seal was just 15 years old and shot so I dropped the windhield and changed it and have been pretty dry ever since
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

... and keep in mind, it's not "always" the vent tube.
Mine leaks and water runs down behind the dash and drips off the parking brake lever.
I'm pretty sure it's the old and rotted cowl seal, but it'll have to wait until I get the inclination to double check.
My vent tubes have been taken out and cleaned, and I still leak.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Manannoyed

Leak

It could be. I took a look at mine because of the same issue and it was completely clogged. I figured that fixed it, but I was wrong. My 1995 and 1999 are both leaking from under the dash and the drain hoses are clear. I hope we get some good replies to our problems.
Manannoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
koreskovich

Thanks guys....the drain was clogged...but I am also going to re-seal the window seal due to it looking a little rough as well!
koreskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
kkuhnell
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem on my 93. I have replaced the cowl seal, and went as far as clipping off the bottom of the cowl drain tube. I checked to see that the drain tube was working by pouring water from a pitcher into the cowl, and the tube drained fine (apparently not fast enough), but the driver side floorboard was still getting wet! I didnt dump a whole 2L in there all at once either. Looking down into the cowl, I dont see where it could possibly be leaking. And because of the pitcher, it has to be from the cowl itself cause everything else stayed bone dry.
kkuhnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the same problem... it sometimes makes my speakers cut out too (stereo has some feature that deactivates speakers when they start to short or get wet) ... I thought it was my light bar but it could be the windshield seal. I don't think it's the ventilation system because the water comes from way too high for it to be that and it doesn't come out of the vents (which it would if that was the problem)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.