Water leak on front of engine .... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water leak on front of engine ....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
JohnW63

Water leak on front of engine ....

I developed a leak somewhere on the front of the engine. It drips right off the lowest part, behind the harmonic balancer. It didn't look like a hose leak, since the low parts of those are on the hose. I figured that since I couldn't see the source, it must be the water pump, since it is the original one. Swapped it out, put on a new lower hose, had to get a new heater pipe to connect the water pump to the hose because mine was sort of roughed up by rust. Put it all together and before I could even fire it up, it was dripping.

I had a little of a leak at the upper hose to thermostat housing, and tightened that, but it was not much. I may have had a little weeping from the heater pipe to water pump, but I wasn't sure if that wasn't from the radiator hose. Neither was as many drips per minute as the low leak.

1) Is there a "freeze plug" behind the timing chain cover ?
A number if years, back I accidentally ran straight water in the car and rusted out a freeze plug. ( Don't forget to finish the steps when doing a Super Flush on the cooling system. )I replaced all the brass plugs on the side of the block. I am concerned if there IS a freeze plug back there, it may have rusted through.

2) Should there be Teflon tape on the threads for the pipe to water pump connection. It's snug, not super tight. I don't think I can get anther 360 degrees rotation to make it really tight. The water pump is aluminum, so I would rather not go gorilla on it.

3) Is there any other place to check for a possible leak spot ?

JohnW63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I developed a leak somewhere on the front of the engine. It drips right off the lowest part, behind the harmonic balancer. It didn't look like a hose leak, since the low parts of those are on the hose. I figured that since I couldn't see the source, it must be the water pump, since it is the original one. Swapped it out, put on a new lower hose, had to get a new heater pipe to connect the water pump to the hose because mine was sort of roughed up by rust. Put it all together and before I could even fire it up, it was dripping.

I had a little of a leak at the upper hose to thermostat housing, and tightened that, but it was not much. I may have had a little weeping from the heater pipe to water pump, but I wasn't sure if that wasn't from the radiator hose. Neither was as many drips per minute as the low leak.

1) Is there a "freeze plug" behind the timing chain cover ?
A number if years, back I accidentally ran straight water in the car and rusted out a freeze plug. ( Don't forget to finish the steps when doing a Super Flush on the cooling system. )I replaced all the brass plugs on the side of the block. I am concerned if there IS a freeze plug back there, it may have rusted through.

2) Should there be Teflon tape on the threads for the pipe to water pump connection. It's snug, not super tight. I don't think I can get anther 360 degrees rotation to make it really tight. The water pump is aluminum, so I would rather not go gorilla on it.

3) Is there any other place to check for a possible leak spot ?
If I was at the farm I would be able to tell you for sure. But looking on google images It looks as though there is no other freeze plugs other than the 5 on the side. But I could be wrong. I think it has to be coming from either the pump or thermostat housing. It is possible you have a bad pump out of the box and its coming out of the weep hole. And I just rtv the threads. Don't overtighten it, you will be sorry lol.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
JohnW63

By the way, I forgot to mention , it is the 6 cylinder motor.
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63
By the way, I forgot to mention , it is the 6cylinder motor.
Lol I assumed it was.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use a Teflon paste on threaded items. You could dust the front of the engine with some talc to help chase down the leak. If you had a bad freeze plug under your timing set you would have water in your oil and I don't believe you have one there anyway. Are you sure it's not coming from your thermostat housing?
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to the farm now ill check it for you.

Unread 08-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is no freeze plug on the front. There are five on the side and one on the back. So it's either your pump or housing.

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
JohnW63

Thanks guys ! I really didn't want to take the rest off if there was nothing that COULD leak under there.
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
JohnW63

Another problem.

I have a new water pump and new pump to heater pipe. When I thread in the pipe, it stops close to where it needs to be aligned with the hose. When I give it a little turn with the wrench, it is pointed over the valve cover. I tried for 45 minutes to get it to start threading at a different spot, so it would be tight at a different angle, but no dice. I think the threads stop in the water pump before the pipe is actually seated on the outside. Is there supposed to be a washer or gasket between the two ? No amount of RTV will seal this under pressure unless it can be made tight.
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63
Another problem.

I have a new water pump and new pump to heater pipe. When I thread in the pipe, it stops close to where it needs to be aligned with the hose. When I give it a little turn with the wrench, it is pointed over the valve cover. I tried for 45 minutes to get it to start threading at a different spot, so it would be tight at a different angle, but no dice. I think the threads stop in the water pump before the pipe is actually seated on the outside. Is there supposed to be a washer or gasket between the two ? No amount of RTV will seal this under pressure unless it can be made tight.
Iirc there is an oring but I'm not sure that was a while ago I even touched that. I have one at the farm ill check and see if I can get it off to see if there is an oring in there.

Unread 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
JohnW63

I examined the water pump threads and I looked like they did not go all the way through the hole. So, I took it back to the parts store and got another one. This looked fully threaded and the pipe seemed to go further. I got it back to the Jeep and it does go further. Now, it stops 180 degrees off. < sigh >

If there is an o-ring, it would make sense.
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure they are pipe threads which should not have an o-ring to seal. If you look at the male portion (the pipe) you should see that it's tapered. That will verify they are pipe threads. If you use Teflon tape you'll get a good seal plus the tape is slippery and you should be able to thread it farther.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I checked, no oring, pipe thread.

Unread 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
JohnW63

So, if it's pipe thread, I should be able to lube it to work it further around and seat it ? Teflon tape may allow it to go further by being slippery ? Given the pump is aluminum, I didn't want to risk cranking it around with a big wrench.
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I turned in with a wrench till it lined up. I used rtv to seal it. Seeing as how it is pipe thread. The rtv will seal properly as the treads are tapered an it tightens as it goes in. There is a possibility of cracking it, but I believe they have the threads started in a strategic matter as to allow it to line up without cracking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.