Warn Tire Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Warn Tire Carrier

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Warn Tire Carrier

I need some advice--several months ago I bought a Warn rock crawler bumper with the mount for the tire carrier, however it didn't come with the tire carrier. My logic was that I would pick one up on craigslist or eventually make one that fit the specs. Well between work, school, and going active military soon I haven't been able to build one and they are very difficult to find. Not only that, I should have researched more--they are so ridiculously overpriced for what they are.

So here I am preparing to drop money on my full size spare, with no way to mount it--I'm going to drop it in my back seat for trips and keep it inside my house otherwise. I don't have my welding equipment here with me, it's all back home in Baton Rouge, LA...

Note: I'm also not sure I trust my welding skills or my small flux core welder to create a secure rack for the tire. Normally I wouldn't worry, I do a lot of recreational welding and have taken classes, but reading about wheels bouncing down the highway off broken racks... I better be damn sure that wheel won't go anywhere because that could honestly kill someone on the interstate. Not sure 1/8th tubing or square tube is up to the task...

Bottom Line: Do I sell Warn rock crawler and buy a full smittybilt or some other bumper plus tire carrier set? Any of y'all fab up something similar or have a similar problem? Trying to save money and crunched for time. Tire carrier for warn is too expensive and I doubt I'll ever find one for sale at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance!

goAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We just had a thread where it was decided that carrying a spare is not needed.
I had the means to mount mine so I did if you dont, dont sweat it.
My $0.02

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There was another, recent thread, about smittybilt's tire carrier failing.
I don't think that is the direction you want to go.

I just picked up a groundpounder bumper/tire carrier and couldn't be happier.

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Soooo, what did we talk you in to doing?
I have some type of bumper that I believe had a tire carrier on it but the swing out part is missing.
So I am interested in what you decided to do.
7-28pm-003.jpg   5-6-jeep-001.jpg  

Unread 08-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would just sell the warn bumper and buy a swingout, I would stay away from the Smittybilt unit cause they are built kinda cheap and rattle around a good bit. ( I used to sell the when I worked for 4wheel parts)

Look into the LOD Tirecarrier its $500 and beefy Ive installed a few, and my friend has had one on his TJ for about 5 years and it doesnt rattle or anything with a 37 on it . This spring when I get my Next YJ and start my build I will be getting a LOD Tire carrier

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/prod...cat=274&page=1
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goAF View Post

Bottom Line: Do I sell Warn rock crawler and buy a full smittybilt or some other bumper plus tire carrier set? Any of y'all fab up something similar or have a similar problem? Trying to save money and crunched for time. Tire carrier for warn is too expensive and I doubt I'll ever find one for sale at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance!
I made my own for a cheap price and added it to an existing bumper. It didn't take too long. Here's a link to the build of it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/l...arrier-839569/

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
We just had a thread where it was decided that carrying a spare is not needed.
I had the means to mount mine so I did if you dont, dont sweat it.
My $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I would just sell the warn bumper and buy a swingout, I would stay away from the Smittybilt unit cause they are built kinda cheap and rattle around a good bit. ( I used to sell the when I worked for 4wheel parts)

Look into the LOD Tirecarrier its $500 and beefy Ive installed a few, and my friend has had one on his TJ for about 5 years and it doesnt rattle or anything with a 37 on it . This spring when I get my Next YJ and start my build I will be getting a LOD Tire carrier

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/prod...cat=274&page=1
Mine rattled all over the place and you could watch it shake with a 37 on it. With a 33 and 35 inch MT/R I had no issues. I snub mine tight against the tail gate FYI. That 37 in PB rocker was just to much for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sell the bumper and contact Beserk on the forum. Search for bumpers on the site and his build thread ought to come up. He has a great bumper for a reasonable price.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for being slow getting back--still havent decided. Tight on money and heading out to Texas sept 29... Have a month more or less to figure it out. Seriously leaning towards fabbing my own currently checking out what's been posted.
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep me too been picking up scrap pc's of 2" tubing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.