Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Warn 8274

962 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CWBreeding 
#1 ·
I just bought a Warn 8274 with no cable and a controller hardwired to the solenoids. Bought it off a farmer who had used it since he bought it new. I believe it is a 1976, since the date code ends in 6 and it has the starter-style solenoids and prestolite motor. Got it for $350, which I believe to be a fair price in my area.

Now to my questions. It was used to raise and lower a spear to move hay, so it was never pulling its full capacity. It was also bone dry when he pulled it apart and showed me the internals, and he said he had never put oil in it. The gears seem to be in okay shape though. What seals do I need to purchase in order to ensure no leaks when I fill it with oil after rebuild?

The drum end support (part 7532) now has an egg shaped hole in it, likely ran for more than 15 years with no bushing. I'll need to replace this. Is there anything else on this side of the winch I should replace?

Overall, I have never owned a winch before, and I'm excited to get started with this project. But, since I've never owned a winch before, I'm not really familiar with what to look for in mine. Any suggestions on inexpensive part suppliers / what to look for / common problems, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
With a used warn winch, I'd just do what the farmer was doing, which is.... nothing. Keep on truckin.

I've never really done anything to mine. Just sits there on the front until I use it once every couple years. Although, maybe it'll be a crapshoot whether it works or not. This is probably bad advice.

#5 ·
Lower kit will come with the bushings and drum seal. The only other seal that you may want to replace is the brake shaft seal. If you go that deep buy a brake service kit too. Use 8oz of non-detergent SAE-30 or equivalent. I use Mopar NV3500 fluid in mine. A little oblong on the end support is alright, but if it's bad it allows the winch to twist against the lower case bolts and can crack. There are a few used one on Ebay for $80-90.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I do a few too....
Sombody's sitting on a honeyhole. Good for you, man. I love seeing this kind of stuff. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
@ShiJon I know the markets may be different due to different locations, but what could I expect my winch to be worth after replacing the end support, 8680 service kit, winch cable, and controller wiring?

Also, could someone post a picture of the wiring for the solenoids, controller connections, and anything else related that could be of use to me? I'll be studying abroad for the month of June, so I won't be able to tear into this until I get back in July. I'd like to start rounding up pictures, reference material, and create a parts list to have ready for me when I get back.

#9 ·
Typically you will get more money on Ebay. NOS 8274s sell for $1000-1200 on Ebay. Thats kinda what i measure to. I have sold a few used units on there recently and its all about condition. Its better to part out scraped up/damaged units. Realistic prices are $700+ for basic cleaned up units to $900-1100 for fully restored stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
@ShiJon or anyone else for that matter, can you give me some insight (and preferably some detailed pictures) as to how the winch cable attaches to the drum when spooling cable on? I am about to get back home and start on this project, and want to ensure that I've got as much planned out as I can. Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
If you are using wire rope/cable you simply stick it into the drum, make a loop and use a wire rope clamp. You only need one as the winding will secure the rope to the drum. You can use two. This is only a stop. Never winch with the cable fully out and pulling against the wire inside the drum. It also helps to put a steep bend in the rope where it comes out of the hole. Otherwise its a PITA to wind.

This picture will illustrate the correct way to clamp the wire.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.