Wanting a street performance jeep as well - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wanting a street performance jeep as well

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galligher View Post
That rocks! I don't think I will get it that fast any time soon. With autos,anyone run a smaller stall for the converter but bigger than stock? Was thinking around 2000rpm if I run an auto vs manual.
Why? Higher stall is going to ruin any drivablity for off road use or in the snow, stick with the stock. The only time you want a higher stall is if the motor requires it. So unless your adding some kind of lumpy cam, stick with stock.

The more you try to get out of the engine, the more things you'll need to make it work right. Think about headers, once you start shifting the torque curve upwards, you need better exhaust flow, your jeep is not exactly made for it unless you start hanging things out of the bottom.

You'll add more complications in the build and may not see the results. Build your engine to fit your vehicle, not the other way around. A stock 350 will have more than enough power to sit you in the seat tight. In fact, if it was me, I'd be looking to shift the torque to be higher in the lower RPMs. You'll still have plenty of motor for the street.

Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
Galligher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I understand the whole cam LSA/lift/duration- carb single plane/dual plane - fuel injection long runner/short runner effects on running a stall with a torque converter. I have had turbo cars that the stall did a good job of building boost with the brake on! In looking specifically at the 5.0 or 5.3LS, they both really need a cam/spring swap as junkyard engine pulls. I have much more experience with the 5.0 and know many gt-40P builds with good results with the A231 or Crane 2031 (forget the exact number?) cam and long tubes for good all around power/torque.
In building the entire package, I need to know about driving a 4wd vehicle with a stall. I have zero experince with 4wd vehicles. I would think driving a high stall converter would be a pain off-road. But I would like to have a little bit of a stall to get a little extra kick on the road. Again, on the street a 2200rpm stall is pretty mild if it is a good/efficient converter. But a stall off-road (even though I will only maybe be 5% offroad) may be a big no-no. I don't know. If that is the case, I will probably really consider the manual. I really like the Wrangler, I just want to REALLY smoke the 18 year old in the stock eclipse with the "fart can" on the back to the next light...
Galligher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
chevy , ford , performance , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.