Wanting to do the round tail light thing . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wanting to do the round tail light thing . . .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Forge04
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wanting to do the round tail light thing . . .

Looking to go with the round LED lights in the back. Anyone done this? And what do you do for the backup lights?

Forge04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...s-pics-478763/

From the YJ FAQs, top of the page.......

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

that link will show you one way to go, if you want the 4" round recessed lights do a search for a thread by mean max, he covers it very well. as for back up lights I picked up a set of 2" leds and mounted them the same way in a aftermarket bumper.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you are just looking for recessed lights, you could recess the OEM lights too, looks more Jeep, less garbage truck.
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
jdeere_man
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There are plenty of threads if you use the search. I was about to do this, but I had to go another route because of the tire carrier I was installing (or-fab).

The switch isn't difficult, just pickup the lights of choice and grommets. They can be found a big-rig shop or online or whatever. You'll want a hole saw too, or someway to make the hole. The lights are 4", but the hole has to be larger for the grommet.

For backup lights, you can get 2" white led, which I think usually are required to be in pairs to meet the DOT spec for backup lights. Those can be flush mounted in the tub like the tail lights. Also you could use a pair, or probably single "fog light" or auxiliary "driving light" mounted to the bumper somewhere.

The great thing about the classic jeep tail lights you have is they include all of the required features for the back of your vehicle. Of course they have tail, stop, and turn, which are the basics you will retain in the modification, but they also contain some things you will loose without additional changes. You've thought about the backup lights, but don't forget about the red side marker light, the license plate light, and the integrated reflectors. All these things are probably required. I cannot site code on this off the top of my head, but i think those are under a federal motor vehicle safety regulation. Whether or not they are "required" (by opinion) in your locale may vary. In some places nobody would ever notice and others you would not pass inspection. If you did you might get harrassed by law enforcement, particularly over the license plate light.

Those additional features can be regained through additional modifications. For side marker light i like the single led from Peterson (171 Piranha). You can pick up a surface mount led plate light from a truck place. There are probably some semi-flush mount lights out there for this too, but my local shop has a great surface mount model that's bright as hell. The bolt lights are a joke and fail quickly.
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
If you are just looking for recessed lights, you could recess the OEM lights too, looks more Jeep, less garbage truck.
I thought about doing that but after I took some measurements, I found out theyre just a little too tall and I would have to cut into the tub where you would see it on the inside of the jeep
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I thought about doing that but after I took some measurements, I found out theyre just a little too tall and I would have to cut into the tub where you would see it on the inside of the jeep
So? You only have to do it once. This is an old photo from when I first did it. They are in the same position as stock.

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
So? You only have to do it once. This is an old photo from when I first did it. They are in the same position as stock.

When he says "can see if from the inside of the Jeep", does that mean the light recesses partially into the tub, or is everything contained in the fender?

Also, are there any benefits of recessing the lights aside from aesthetics?

I'd rather crunch a light housing on a tree than hit the tub.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
jdeere_man
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Before i recessed stock lights i would go with surface mount lights from Savvy off-road. They don't stick out very far and they are in a rugged aluminum housing. (Thanks to another member for suggesting those to me when the round flush lights wouldn't work for me).
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
When he says "can see if from the inside of the Jeep", does that mean the light recesses partially into the tub, or is everything contained in the fender?

Also, are there any benefits of recessing the lights aside from aesthetics?

yes, it will recess into the tub. i measured it as low as it could go without moving the gas filler and it wont go low enough to be contained in the fender. Even sideways, which kind of looks weird, was cutting it close
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
do you have any pictures of what it looked like from the inside though? I do really like the look from the outside
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward

How does crushing your taillight stop you from crushing your tub? If you crunch your light without hitting the tub a flush mount would have received no damage at all (which is sorta the whole point of the modification)... The comment just doesn't make sense.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, recessing the OEM ligts in the stock position means you have to make a rectangular cut in the flat surface of the inner fender top. It's easy to do, which is why I said 'So what' up above. I initially just silicone caulked the light to the tub after done. I have since had to remove the light assembly so I cut the silicone.

I have yet to re-seal it, but doing so is not a high priority since virtually nothing has access to that area. When I find a suitable used container (think qt oil can, only a bit heavier), I plan to just cut it to shape and silicone it inside the tub. That way it's sealed and yet the light unit is removable.

You have to just decide you want to do it, then do it. If you think too much and worry about cutting things, you are doomed to the mediocrity of garbage truck lights.
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
How does crushing your taillight stop you from crushing your tub? If you crunch your light without hitting the tub a flush mount would have received no damage at all (which is sorta the whole point of the modification)... The comment just doesn't make sense.
Sorry, I didn't explain it very well.

Think of it as an "early warning system", ha ha

It's easier (and cheaper) to replace a light than to deal with fixing the tub. If you *do* back up to the point of being stopped by a tree, I'd rather it be the light it hits than the tub. Same reason I hate those light cages. All they do is transfer the damage to the tub.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
It's easier (and cheaper) to replace a light than to deal with fixing the tub.
You are assuming that anything that hits a regular outside mounted light will also dent damage the tub. Very much not so. A tree branch can easily crack the plastic, but will barely scuff the tub paint.

Like I said a post ago... you either like the look, function, and no cost, and will 'just do it', or you won't. It's not tough to see whats involved, as much as this thread want to force the contrary.

Tags
led , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.