Want to lift my '91 YJ, couple questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Want to lift my '91 YJ, couple questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
fsacb3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Want to lift my '91 YJ, couple questions

I've read all the write ups I could find and it seems doable, except for removing old, stuck hardware. Most of them say something like "took some serious grinding but I finally got it." I have all the tools I need to install the lift, but removing stuck bolts is not in my wheelhouse, so to speak. I plan on PB Blasting a week in advance, but will that be enough? What tool do I need? Some people say a sawsall is no good and won't work well. Is there a grinder that would be better? What tool(s) should I have before starting? Or will they all come out no problem?

Also, what exactly is the "technique"? Cut or grind the head off, then tap it out?

Thanks

fsacb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You're in LA, there shouldn't be too many rust problems. Just take your time and replace all the bolts with grade 8 hardware. The only big problem is near the gas tank and those bolts should be loosened up and driven as gas as possible with a punch then cut with a sawzall until the spring and shackle are free.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know right where you're coming from. When we lifted our last YJ, we didn't have the tools to really get the job done right. We ended up calling a buddy who came over with a garage full of "stuff" in the back of his truck and he went to town on our ride. Between a 4" angle grinder, torch, impact driver, air tools, BFH and helper bars, the old components were shredded, sliced, cut, melted and destroyed so we could get the new stuff on. Depending on how rusted/frozen your existing hardware is, you may end up throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it. We found the 4" angle grinder and torch were our tools of choice for maximum destruction with minimal collateral damage.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All of my main spring eye bolts were seized to the metal bushing. So I used a 4.5" angle grinder and had to cut between the hanger and the leaf spring. Pain in the butt because its time consuming, but worked just fine and the Jeep spent all its life in CA and AZ.
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You're in LA, there shouldn't be too many rust problems. Just take your time and replace all the bolts with grade 8 hardware. The only big problem is near the gas tank and those bolts should be loosened up and driven as gas as possible with a punch then cut with a sawzall until the spring and shackle are free.
I didn't have a problem with those ones, used hand wrenches to,

weren't hard to get off, dunno, just use tons if pb blaster on all bolts

Edit, my main spring eye bolts did sieze to the metal bushing, so we destroyed the stock springs with the torch
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaYJ View Post
All of my main spring eye bolts were seized to the metal bushing. So I used a 4.5" angle grinder and had to cut between the hanger and the leaf spring. Pain in the butt because its time consuming, but worked just fine and the Jeep spent all its life in CA and AZ.
Same for me but mine is from the East Coast altho its in good shape rustwise. To the OP, a 4.5" angle grinder only cost about $20 at harbor freight. Buy a few metal cutting wheels ($5) and cut everything off if any of those bolts/nuts give you even the slightest grief.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift advice , suspension lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.