JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Want to lift my '91 YJ, couple questions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/want-lift-my-91-yj-couple-questions-1443841/)

fsacb3 11-29-2012 09:11 AM

Want to lift my '91 YJ, couple questions

I've read all the write ups I could find and it seems doable, except for removing old, stuck hardware. Most of them say something like "took some serious grinding but I finally got it." I have all the tools I need to install the lift, but removing stuck bolts is not in my wheelhouse, so to speak. I plan on PB Blasting a week in advance, but will that be enough? What tool do I need? Some people say a sawsall is no good and won't work well. Is there a grinder that would be better? What tool(s) should I have before starting? Or will they all come out no problem?

Also, what exactly is the "technique"? Cut or grind the head off, then tap it out?

Thanks

Anticanman 11-29-2012 09:15 AM

You're in LA, there shouldn't be too many rust problems. Just take your time and replace all the bolts with grade 8 hardware. The only big problem is near the gas tank and those bolts should be loosened up and driven as gas as possible with a punch then cut with a sawzall until the spring and shackle are free.

Rproject 11-29-2012 09:26 AM

I know right where you're coming from. When we lifted our last YJ, we didn't have the tools to really get the job done right. We ended up calling a buddy who came over with a garage full of "stuff" in the back of his truck and he went to town on our ride. Between a 4" angle grinder, torch, impact driver, air tools, BFH and helper bars, the old components were shredded, sliced, cut, melted and destroyed so we could get the new stuff on. Depending on how rusted/frozen your existing hardware is, you may end up throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it. We found the 4" angle grinder and torch were our tools of choice for maximum destruction with minimal collateral damage.

GottaYJ 11-29-2012 09:37 PM

All of my main spring eye bolts were seized to the metal bushing. So I used a 4.5" angle grinder and had to cut between the hanger and the leaf spring. Pain in the butt because its time consuming, but worked just fine and the Jeep spent all its life in CA and AZ.

AmmitOsiris 11-30-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 14525775)
You're in LA, there shouldn't be too many rust problems. Just take your time and replace all the bolts with grade 8 hardware. The only big problem is near the gas tank and those bolts should be loosened up and driven as gas as possible with a punch then cut with a sawzall until the spring and shackle are free.

I didn't have a problem with those ones, used hand wrenches to,

weren't hard to get off, dunno, just use tons if pb blaster on all bolts

Edit, my main spring eye bolts did sieze to the metal bushing, so we destroyed the stock springs with the torch

stratostix 11-30-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GottaYJ (Post 14529358)
All of my main spring eye bolts were seized to the metal bushing. So I used a 4.5" angle grinder and had to cut between the hanger and the leaf spring. Pain in the butt because its time consuming, but worked just fine and the Jeep spent all its life in CA and AZ.

Same for me but mine is from the East Coast altho its in good shape rustwise. To the OP, a 4.5" angle grinder only cost about $20 at harbor freight. Buy a few metal cutting wheels ($5) and cut everything off if any of those bolts/nuts give you even the slightest grief.

The time now is 09:19 PM.