Wait time before vinyl on fresh paint? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wait time before vinyl on fresh paint?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
So you're telling me that on a 20+year old jeep, where the paint still has at least some shine, and the original stickers are on it, that stripping that door with media blasting, smoothing the metal, applying primer, skim coats as needed, block sanding, applying a layer of modern 1 or even 2-stage paint, your 3 generations of paint professionals can't make it look as if that sticker was never there?

Or are you talking about a 20+ year old vehicle wherein the paint is basically gone around the sticker, and rust has pitted the metal around the sticker? That I can believe.
my jeep still had decent paint when body work began. when i striped the doors you could see a discoloration in the metal in the shape of the graphic.
yes filler will help the issue but areas do not always need filler where graphics were. we can make them go away but you always risk that they will come back years later but most of the time anything that comes back can be removed with a simple wetsand and rub. if i wanted my jeep to be perfect i could sand and rub it and make it go away but i will just let the trees sand it for me

i was just making a point that waiting will not stop it from printing the paint.

kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
my jeep still had decent paint when body work began. when i striped the doors you could see a discoloration in the metal in the shape of the graphic.
yes filler will help the issue but areas do not always need filler where graphics were. we can make them go away but you always risk that they will come back years later but most of the time anything that comes back can be removed with a simple wetsand and rub. if i wanted my jeep to be perfect i could sand and rub it and make it go away but i will just let the trees sand it for me

i was just making a point that waiting will not stop it from printing the paint.
I agree. As stated earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
But then again, it's a YJ...
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
why put the splash's back on? i had mine off the day i bought my jeep.
I guess it's a case of, "To each their own".

With the right decal, I like the look....it's as simple as that.

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.