Wagoneer spring to YJ swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wagoneer spring to YJ swap

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
renegade10s
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wagoneer spring to YJ swap

I found some wagoneer springs today (2 pairs of the fronts) for a really good price . I remember hearing somewhere that if they were put into a YJ they would give a estimated 2" of lift?

If so, what other mods will i have to do to make them fit correctly.
I know that they will stretch the wheel base to an extent so will i have to do any other mods to make that viable?
or are they a direct swap no worries?

Thanks in advance, just wanting somebody to fill in all the gray spots!

Renegade10s

Unread 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
jeepinMatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yes they will stretch your WB by about 2" give or take. but only if you have them backwards i believe. if you run them normal then you will not gain any WB but you will get a crazy shackle angle which is not too bad. i forgot which way to put it. if it wasnt dark i would look at mine.
jeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
renegade10s
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so sweetness. haha funny thing, my name is Matt also. small world

back on topic though:

So i will prolly want to buy some new U-bolts cause im guessing that they gotta be a lil bigger
And for the shackle angle; is that just forcing my shackles to stick out farther then normal? if so that would prolly give me more flex and room since they can still move back to normal when i get some space?

i will most likely end up Painting the springs b4 i put them on, either por15 if some rust or some black auto paint to make them look nice and new

Anything else i should have to do in prep for putting these on my jeep would be loved to know?
and pictures jeepinmatt! If i could see some of rear and front and where they connect to the axle it would be awesome but w/e u got works!
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

new u bolts would be nice but not 100% necessary. they will not be bigger, they only get bigger if you put different axles in that have a larger tube diameter. either way you put your springs you will have a steeper shackle angle. the spring is just longer. just for clarification you get 1" per side of stretch so if you do front and rear springs on backwards you a total of 2". i would recommend getting new shocks so you can take advantage of you new flexy springs. you could drive on the stock springs on the road but after you get the springs on measure the new extended and collapsed lengths and get some new ones. don't forget to check for brake line clearance. i believe i unbolted the factory mount and located it on the side of the frame. if you still have the track bar lose it, you won't need it. sway bar links might still work. i have mine off all summer but then put extended ones on in the winter (less wheeling that requires flexy). you might have problems in the rear with shackle clearance when flexing out like this guy.

i believe he had to buy extended boomerang shackles to make it work. those are 0" lift ones in the pic i think.

in my opinion definitely stretch the front and i am going to stretch my rear since i have TJ flares. if you still have YJ flares i would take a long look at it. remember the tires will move up and slightly backwards when flexing.

here is a pic of mine with waggy fronts stretched 1" and other lift in back with no stretch.

it needs the waggy springs in the rear to level it out and stretch it.

good luck.

1995 Wrangler 4.0 AX15 NP231 D30 & 35 4.10 gears
3" Rough Country suspension 33x12.50 Mastercraft MT

2007 JK 3.8 42RLE Auto NV241 D30 & D44 4.10 gears
richmond1273 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was under the ASSumption that only the front waggy springs had the offset pin. Rear springs are normal centered, but beings the OP has two sets of front springs it doesn't matter.

I believe they also give you two inches of stretch if run backwards. So if you have both front, and rear done, it will be four inches total. Stock wheelbase is about 94 inches, so that would put you at about 98 inches.

I am not sure about steering geometry either. You may be able to get away with a stock configuration. I'm not sure.

But be aware of the main leaf. It is notorious for bending quite easily.

I ran them on the front of my rig for about two runs, and both were horribly bent.

Doug

PS
I would also recommend new u-bolts.

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when i put them on the front of my jeep i am 90% sure it only moved it 1". i can go out later and measure mine to verify though. i was running a dropped pitman arm but when the suspenion was flexing the draglink and tierod would get into each other. i put the stock pitman arm on and everything is fine. no other steering modification.

Unread 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool on the steering.

I was runnin' full hydro when I had them in the front. So I have no reference.

Doug

Plato
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
renegade10s
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a plan,

So lemme make sure i got this all right before i go and brake something!

2 pairs of the front springs from the wagoneers for the front and back of my jeep
I put them on the front backwards i will gain about 1inch of stretch and ruffly a 2inch lift?
The back i put them on backwards again and i will get a 1inch stretch and 2inch lift? (height depends on springs)

If i run them normal i get lift but no stretch?
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade10s View Post
Sounds like a plan,

So lemme make sure i got this all right before i go and brake something!

2 pairs of the front springs from the wagoneers for the front and back of my jeep
I put them on the front backwards i will gain about 1inch of stretch and ruffly a 2inch lift?
The back i put them on backwards again and i will get a 1inch stretch and 2inch lift? (height depends on springs)

If i run them normal i get lift but no stretch?
yes to all

Unread 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
renegade10s
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweetness ill post some B4 and after pics

And thanks for the detailed help
and awesome pictures richmond!
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

try and take some wheel base measurements before and after so we can help ourselves clarify it it stretches 1 or 2 inches for each set.

Unread 08-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
Cyborg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sorry for digging up the post but:

Right now I am running a 4" ProComp lift, and am looking at doing the wagoneer leaf spring swap, but really dont want to loose the alleged couple inches of lift (Since I have a 4" and the Waggy springs will provide 2", that leaves me down 2" from where I sit now).

Any options to getting a couple more inches lift out of stock wagoneer springs? would an AAL do anything?

Or is there any company that sells waggy springs made for a 2-4" lift that would sell 2 sets of front springs only?
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just three more quick questions: A) Somebody mentioned them bending easily; do you think I'll be ok with just 30" tires? It will be a few months before I can afford new rubber, do you think I will have an issue?

and B) I'm not looking for any stretch, so how will i know which end is which? are they marked?

lastly C) how bad are the shackle angles? I have 1.25" lift shackles, so they are about 7 inches long, will clearance be a problem?

Thanks!
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonkeyman View Post
Just three more quick questions: A) Somebody mentioned them bending easily; do you think I'll be ok with just 30" tires? It will be a few months before I can afford new rubber, do you think I will have an issue?

and B) I'm not looking for any stretch, so how will i know which end is which? are they marked?

lastly C) how bad are the shackle angles? I have 1.25" lift shackles, so they are about 7 inches long, will clearance be a problem?

Thanks!
A) youll be fine with your tires
B) no stretch then why use them? measure from eye to center pin to tell what end is longer and put longer end towards the spring hanger (non shackle end)
C) youll be fine, its its bad get some booms from brandon and call it done till new/more mods

hope it helps
www.kifourwheelers.com << Louisville Ky. based 4x4 club
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonkeyman View Post

I mentioned them bending easily.

I was running 40" Iroks, full hydro steering, and I'm not easy on my rig.

But,

They literally bent within 30 seconds of "testing". They were brand new springs, not junkyard peices. I was about 15 hours away from pulling out to go to Moab, so I didn't have time to replace them. I wheeled on them for about a season, pulled them, and replaced with XJ springs.

I would still recomend getting support to the main spring in some way.

Plato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.