Waggy pitman arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Waggy pitman arm

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Superhoob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Waggy pitman arm

I got a pitman arm from waggoneer that I read was about two inches longer that my stock YJ. It fit on my steering box, and even the drag length fit, which was all great, but it turns out to be only one inch longer, and I still have a little binding. Is there another pitman arm that will fit my steering box but be two inches longer than stock?

Superhoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

xj's r for closer to a 4 inch lift but I'm pretty sure would work out for ya.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Superhoob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am runnig a 4" lift, with a shackle reversal. My issues is I swapped in a D44 from a ~78 F150, and I am having a hard time with all the stearing geometries. I used the same vintage tie rod and drag length, shortened the drag length, and flipped the ball joints on the tie rod because it hit the springs in the under position.
But the XJ is longer that the YJ by 2"? If the pitman arm drops to correct for a 4" lift, then it would not work, becasue I am almost parallel as it is.
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i think he is confusing "drop" with overall "length." are you having a problem with reduced steering radius because your pitman is shorter then your knuckle arm?

i made my own pitman arm. my hi-steer arms are 8.5" long and this just doesnt work with a 5" pitman.
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Superhoob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am not having a problem with the turning radius. The problem is the drag length come in contact with the tie rod at the ends of the steering travel. If I could get a pitman arm the was about 1 inch longer, I think this would solve the issue. It does not seem to affect steering, but I don't like the contact when I turn.
Is there an off the shelf pitman arm the will fit my YJ steering gear? I can rework the other end to accept my ball joint. Making my own might be difficult, does anyone know a shop that makes custom pitman arms?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.