VSS Supply Voltage after 5.3 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > VSS Supply Voltage after 5.3 Swap

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
scott66s
1995 YJ Wrangler 

VSS Supply Voltage after 5.3 Swap

I am in the process of wrapping up my 5.3 swap and I am trying to get the speedo working. According to the wiring diagram I have, the jeep ECM would have supplied 8 volts to the VSS. Since I don't have a jeep ECM anymore the VSS doesn't have power right now. Does anyone know if I can supply the VSS with 12V? Or does it have to be 8V? I tried searching and couldn't find anything. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

scott66s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

with the 5.3, you should have the ECM for the 5.3, right? use the 5.3s ECM to connect to the VSS the way it would have in the original vehicle

at least that's the way I understand it... I'm using an older engine with a little simpler electronics, so there might be more involved than I'm aware of.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
beemerkid
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott66s View Post
I am in the process of wrapping up my 5.3 swap and I am trying to get the speedo working. According to the wiring diagram I have, the jeep ECM would have supplied 8 volts to the VSS. Since I don't have a jeep ECM anymore the VSS doesn't have power right now. Does anyone know if I can supply the VSS with 12V? Or does it have to be 8V? I tried searching and couldn't find anything. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
If the jeep ecm provided 8V, you will need 8v. You can wire a resistor into the circuit to drop the voltage. I dont remember the formula for how many ohms it would need to be to drop it to 8V. If you run it with 12V your going to burn something up.

SeanB95YJ, He's talking about the jeep vss to feed the speedometer, not the GM vss feeding the GM PCM. The GM PCM is now a separate system from the jeep vss.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
scott66s
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid

If the jeep ecm provided 8V, you will need 8v. You can wire a resistor into the circuit to drop the voltage. I dont remember the formula for how many ohms it would need to be to drop it to 8V. If you run it with 12V your going to burn something up.

SeanB95YJ, He's talking about the jeep vss to feed the speedometer, not the GM vss feeding the GM PCM. The GM PCM is now a separate system from the jeep vss.
That's what I figured. I was just hoping someone had some experience trying it 12V with it before I had to do, you know, math and stuff.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
scott66s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Need more info. What tranny are you useing? I have a Vortec 5.7/ 4l60e in mine. Get ahold of DakotaDigital.com and purchase there sgi-5c sdeedo converter. I used this in Mine and it works perfect. It changes the signal from the gm vss to work with the Jeep speedo. The sweet part is, any time You change tire size or gear ratio, You can go back and adjust it for the right speed. I used My handheld GPS to get it spot on. It's on the money from 0- 80, thats as fast as I've ever drove it, Scary!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, just reread everything thats been said. It's coming back to Me now! I remember going over the 8v thing. I couldnt come up with the 8v so thats why I ended up useing the gm vss and Dakota Digital box. I just looked at your profile, If Your using a 4l60e, You must have the vss hooked up. The Dakota box is what You need. Forget about the vss comeing from the 231 and get Your signal from the 4l60e vss.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.