VSS & Automatic Trans Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > VSS & Automatic Trans Issues

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
zainyD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

VSS & Automatic Trans Issues

Hey guys, new member here looking for some help!

My father-in-law recently bought a 1991 YJ as a woods vehicle and toy at my recommendation. Now that he has the vehicle and I've had the opportunity to work on it I'm realizing what a Frankenstein it is. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have recommended that he buy this particular Jeep or not. It's a mess!

I guess there's no turning back now so I need some help in getting this thing running/shifting correctly.

At some point in it's life this YJ had an automatic transmission installed in place of the manual. I believe the transmission is out of a Cherokee. The speedometer doesn't work and the trans doesn't downshift properly when you are coming to a stop. This causes the engine to bog out and sometimes stall. I adjusted the TV cable, but the issue still persists. The VSS plug on the transfer case is a 3-wire. The wiring under the dash is a mess and I'm going to have to tear into it and get it straightened out. Is there a way for me to adapt and repair the VSS/speedometer for this transmission that I have? Could I just buy a 1991 VSS and install it in the transfer case in place of the existing plug?

New plugs and wires were installed, but I'm pretty sure there are some vacuum lines that need to be repaired/replaced. The idle is about 1,200rpm. I haven't checked the timing yet, but it runs pretty smooth. Is there a vacuum line diagram available?

I know that's a lot of questions at once, especially for my first post. Thanks for any help you can give me.

zainyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds like the vss. You need one that had both the cable and the electronic hook up out of a 91.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 3 wire can be used on the 2 wire with the 2 wire connector.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.