Vortex Winch, any good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vortex Winch, any good?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Vortex Winch, any good?

I was on Ebay just looking, and I found this 12,000 lb winch made by Vortex. Here's the listing:
Vortex 12,000 lb Winch

It has a wireless remote that is neat, but, do the stats match up? The price is unbelievable! I was thinking of a Warn Power Plant for the air compressor option, but, it's a little steep in price. Should I just hold out for the Warn PP, or, would this Vortex get the job done if needed. Thanks,

Jerry

Unread 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
justanotherhemi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good and the price is great.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
justanotherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I think so! This is the first winch that I've seen besides the Warn that actually doesn't look cheap!! I want something that will last, but, the Warn PP is just too much for me to swallow. I did see an guy on the West Coast of FL that had a Warn 8275 that he had on his CJ3B, but I was going to get something like that for my old '62 DJ instead. I wanted something new anyway for the YJ anyway.

Jerry
Unread 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Probably just depends on how often you'll actually use it. I looked at those before too, but I'm just gonna get the Warn 8k.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I don't do anything too extreme because of my drivetrain and gears. I just want some insurance for the trail; if I get stuck, just hook up the winch and not beat the drivetrain. I want to know, that, if I get into trouble, that winch WILL get me out! Reliability is a strong point with me, hence why I was dead-set on getting a Warn. Timatoe, did you see the winch in person? Just wanted to know if it looked like it was solid like it seems.

Jerry
Unread 10-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

that price isnt THAT big of a deal, $350 + $70 shipping = $420, youre going to need a fairlead, $100, and a hook, $25-$50, total $545 - $570

go to winchdepot.com, they have better, trail proven units at that same price with free shipping
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
CWA4x4

Vortex Winch..

So i looked it up.. They are made by the same company and are exactly the same as Gorilla winches. Here are links to the gorilla websight and the ebay page. You can even see the place where the gorilla sticker is supposed to go on the ebay winch.
Gorilla winch http://www.gorillawinches.com/truck-...ery-winch.html

Ebay winch Item number: 110346432295 or search (NEW 10000 LB 10000LB WIRELESS WATERPROOF RECOVERY WINCH)

I found your post looking for the answer to the same queastion.
I'm gonna buy one. They are exactly the same and the eBay one has a two year waranty where the gorilla has a one year...
CWA4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
kbcjeep

If you want a cheap but really good working winch I would recommend
the smittybuilt XRC 8 or XRC 10. I have a XRC 10 on my boom truck and it gets used almost daily never had any issues. It was $420 to my door from 4 wheel parts, complete package.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...0702&t_pl=6426
kbcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
kbcjeep

kbcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost183 View Post
that price isnt THAT big of a deal, $350 + $70 shipping = $420, youre going to need a fairlead, $100, and a hook, $25-$50, total $545 - $570

go to winchdepot.com, they have better, trail proven units at that same price with free shipping
Did you bother to read the description, IT COMES WITH FAIRLEAD, HOOK, LINE, everything except a mounting plate!

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I got a vortex winch for christmas. it's the 6000lb one, but sense it was a guift, I'm not going to complain. I'll use it till it quits, then replace it with a larger one. anyway, here are some pics, and some things I noticed.

ok, here are some things I noticed about it.
1: some of the screws for the cover(on the end for the planitary/clutch) were loose.
2: I pulled that cover, just to check it out, and it seemed like it was a little low on grease, I'll add more before I use it.
3: the rollers on the fairlead are just tube with a bushing in each end. it those bushings get worn, I could see that causing some issues. HOWEVER, keep in mind, my winch is only 6000lb, the larger winches might have a different fairlead.
4: the hook is a little small. I tried hooking it to the smallest clevis that I had, and the safety catch still wouldn't close.
5: there is a littel bit of a delay when using the wireless remote. however, I've heard this is common with all wireless remotes, so I'm not conserned about it.

this is the first winch I've ever had, so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm in no way complaining, these are just things that I noticed, and felt were worth mentioning.

EDIT:
PS, the mount isn't done yet, I still need to pull everything back off, finish welding, clean it up, and paint it.
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I would still recomend the smittybuilt over that one on Ebay. You only really need an 8 or a 10K winch anyway.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
lake0026

Hello, i have a vortex winch the 8000 lb one, it works great in short pulls, the only thing i have a problem with is i burnt you the solenoids. but over all a great winch, i have had it for 3 years now
lake0026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

does that vortex 6000 get the job done with your jeep, thought about buying the 6000 for my jeep yj when i get stuck, which is relatively often (no lockers...yet) or should i go with an 8000. have you had any problems with it pulling, or anything? would you recomend it or not, thanks.
dwdrums40385 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #15
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

The size of your winch needs are determined by the depth and thickness of the mud you are stuck in. A stock YJ weighs in at around 3000 lbs. The deeper you are and the angle you are pulling yourself to can greatly increase your weight (resistance).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.