Voltage regulator test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Voltage regulator test

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 10-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Voltage regulator test

Hey Guys! Happy Friday! Is there a way to test the voltage regulator on the ECU or whatever its called?

I cannot figure out why my heep is overcharging all the time. I cleaned up a mess of wires, cleaned up the battery terminals, has a new alternator upgraded alternator, etc....Still over fifteen volts with a meter on the battery.

mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You need an oscilloscope and the ability to use it. In the old, old days the generator was on or off, alternators used a varying voltage on the field to adjust the output. Now they use computer generated data to send a pulsed signal to the field. So how much over 15 volts is it? On my 95 the field output is a Dark Green wire on Pin 20 of the Powertrain Control Module.
That being said the input to the ECU could be low, resulting in the ECU giving a higher than normal charge rate. Check the following Pins on the PCM Pin3, 12 volts in; Pin5, Ground; Pin6 5Volts out; Pin7 8Volts out.

Again this is for a 95, but they might be similar. Pins 3 and 5 being the most important. If either is corroded it will generate a bad signal, same with Pin 5 being poorly grounded.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Same setup exactly what he said x2. If that is putting out over 15 you need to fix what is going on immediately. That is getting into the area of enough voltage to cause a battery to boil and or explode.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a ton. I couldn't find much on the google. I was told previously on another thread to fix the voltage issue asap and really hoped cleaning up all my wiring hacks from the last fifteen years, replacing the alternator, and vacuuming the seats would fix it.
Unread 10-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What is your voltage exactly?
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Between 15.1-15.3 volts at idle and it climbs a bunch if I rev the engine. I only got it to 2K RPMs but that brought it up to 15.5ish. Thats with a meter at the battery. Battery with the engine off is 12.8ish.
Unread 10-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are full fielding the alternator. That is very very bad. Do not drive it until it's fixerd. Do what he said.
Unread 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, couple things...i have a Jet chip, I cannot remove it for the life of me. I was kinda hoping maybe it just had issues and once I removed it things would start working normal again. Should I spend a bunch of time and risk breaking it or just leave it?

Is there a difference between PCM and ECU? or are they the same thing?

To test everything I am just removing the big harness from the ECU and testing at the connections in the harness right? I got a little over 12 volts at pin 3, and pin 5 definitely is grounded. I got nothing at all on pin 6 or 7.
Unread 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to check pin 20 to ground. You have the right power. PCM/ECU is the same.
Unread 10-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, the battery with the engine off was at 12.56 volts. I had it retested today as well and it is fine. Alternator (grand cherokee 136amp) has about 50 miles on it. It was overcharging before I replaced the alternator. I also spent a few days rewiring and cleaning up every accessory I've installed...fan, H4 headlights, foglights, reverse cheapo fog lights. Everything is done right as far as I know

I unplugged the harness from the ECU and tested the sockets.

Pin 3 - 12.56 volts
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 6 - No reading
Pin 7 - No reading
Pin 20 - Ground

Looking at some other threads...I need to do this with the jeep running huh?
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I grounded pin 20 with the jeep running and the voltage at the battery shot up to at least 18 volts. The battery really didn't like that at all, it spit out most of the water that was inside.
Unread 10-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You should never do that more than a few seconds. Full fielding by grounding pin 20 is a good test but must be done with caution. You checked pin 20 to ground with the key off and battery disconnected? If not, repeat and post results.
Unread 10-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Que, sorry for not responding sooner. I had to run out of town for a few days but will jump into it again early next week. When I grounded pin 20 it was super quick, just enough to register on the meter. I checked pin 20 with the jeep running though...I will do it again with the battery disconnected and the key off. Thanks for all your help. Nobody around me has the computers so that will be tricky if I do need to get one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.