Voltage Regulator mod - Now I'm going crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Voltage Regulator mod - Now I'm going crazy

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
rwcook49

Voltage Regulator mod - Now I'm going crazy

Hey Everyone, Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a '90 YJ but I swapped the motor for a 4.0L from a '93 Grand Cherokee quite a long time ago.

I used the 4.0 harness and ECM kit from Hesco (Benny Rules!), and have been running with no issues for years, until...

My VR went out in the ECM so rather than spring for a new one I went the external route with a VR from a late '80's Dodge. The mod works okay, in as much as it charges the battery correctly. However the voltage "bounces" from 13-16V constantly.

I wouldn't mind terribly except in means when driving at night the headlights look like I'm an idiot running down the road flashing everyone (bright, dim, bright, dim, bright, dim, etc.).

I've got a good ground on the VR, all of the wiring looks correct. I've tried a different VR from a different parts store, etc.

I'm stumped. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated!

Unread 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried this one?

http://alternatorparts.com/external-...nator-kit.html
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
rwcook49

I haven't, but it looks just like the VR I have installed. Is there something specific about this one?
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing I can relate to the roller coaster voltage is a couple of cases of regulators failing (either one or both on motorcycles, and both were separate regulator/rectifier units that used a voltage sensing wire for control. Since you've gone to a replacement external unit, there's a possibility it is failing. Or... Have you isolated the original embedded regulator so that it isn't interfering with the external unit?

Just kind of thinking out loud on this one.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.