voltage drop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > voltage drop

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Rookie-IA-YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

voltage drop

i am having a hard time figuring this problem out can anyone help

i have a 91 yj and the problem with it is when i press the gas the battery voltage drops down dramatically. If i were to stay on the gas it would eventually die. when i shift back to neutral the battery voltage goes back to 14. I have tried to find a bad wire and i am not seeing one but i am not sure i have seen them all. what is it that pulls power when press the accelerator.

any ideas would be much appreciated.

Rookie-IA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the alternator. When your engine is running it requires power to run everything but mainly spark for your engine. When you press teh pedal the RPMs go up and so does the power required for the spark. The alternator gives consistent power when the engine is running to have enough power to run everything in your Jeep.
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Rookie-IA-YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have had the alternator checked by 2 different shops and they both say it is ok
Rookie-IA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

check the wiring off the alternator. Especially the ground wire. and the connection points coming off the alternator.
keep us updated. like to see what the issue or fix will be
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your big 50 amp fuses in the PDC. It sounds like you have a bad one.

Try reading the voltage with a meter at the battery when you do it. The guages are notoriously bad. If you are thinking that it is a loading condition the only thing that draws more power then at idle is the ignition system itself.
What happens to your voltage if you leave it at idle and turn on all your electrical loads: blower wipers, radio, etc.?
Increase your idle speed and recheck it.

It is very unlikely that you have a loading condition that is changing like that. I would suggest cleaning all the wires and grounds from the battery and the alternator as a first thing.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.