Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Virgin needs to be broken in - aka New Jeep Owner

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  NaeKid 
#1 ·
Yeah, I know (I hope) that the subject caught your attention. Cut to the point - I have had my 87 wrangler for about a month and I love it. I am in the process of replacing any rusty parts. My first project is the suspension. My leaf's (not sure how to refer to it) are all rusted and wanted to purchase a suspension kit. I, being a young woman, do not want to lift my jeep up 4 inches or even 2.5... Is there a kit that wont lift up my jeep so high for leaf springs? Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!! :confused:

#2 ·
Got my attention! :) - There are several kits out there by various manufacturers that will give 2 - 3 inches of lift for a leaf spring wrangler. With that amount of lift you can run 31" to 33" tires. Check out some 4 wheel magazines or surf around the internet for Jeep sites and try to decide on the look and style that appeals to you. That's what I did 8 years ago before lifting my 89' yj.

#3 ·
Well thaNKS for the reply - but I DO NOT want my jeep lifted so much. I am a lil girl who drives this car as my primary vehicle. I do not want to look like a rough punk in my jeep. Any leafs that wont jack my car up so much? Please Help!!

#4 ·
Umm.. car??

As for you question. I would look around and see if anyone is selling a used 2 inch lift kit. Most likely any 2 inch kit you find used will have settled. So, you actual lift will be around 1-1.5 inches. Should give you a better ride too.

#5 ·
I believe Rancho makes a 1.5" spring and 4wd hardware might have some stock springs. our your springs sagging? i.e. the bend down rather then up? if not and the only problem is they are rusty then take them off, clean, and re paint. you can get new poly urethane bushings to replace the old ones and maybe some new heavy duty shackles. a 2" lift isn't very much lift either and rides well.
Good luck,
Bob

#6 ·
I understand what you mean about not wanting a lift .. my missus hates my 4" lift with 33" tires .. because its too tall to get into easily (she stands 5'4").

The things you would want to do is take your spring packs off your Jeep, and take them down to a body shop to powdercoat in the color of your choice .. or .. to make things cheaper, you can take the spring packs apart yourself (if you have the right tools, including a vise), clean with a de-greaser and sand down. Once you have the spring packs back from the body shop, you can put them back together (use new bolts), new bushings, new U-bolts and then you are done.

A decent powdercoat should last a long time.

An alternative to powdercoating is to visit your nearest farm supply shop. They have teflon based paints that can be applied (used on many types of farm machinery). The teflon based paints will lower your friction between springs and make for a smoother ride.

Follow the same rules as powdercoating.

#9 ·
The first thing you should do is a complete lubrication job...especially on the shafts...
before you decide on "springs", you should figure out how STIFF you want the "ride" to be...
I recommend the spring over on your rearend as well as the front...
shave...I mean...replace the old BUSHings with polyurethane ones.

#10 ·
hey sweetheart, you can buy new STOCK springs through 4WD.com www.4wd.com
I'm not sure how expensive they are, but you can get them there. I'm sure your old springs could be cleaned up and painted, but they have sagged and don't give as good a ride. Remember this, if you really love your jeep and get the bug, you will kick yourself for not getting at least a 2.5" lift later on......you'll want big tires and you definitely won't look like a punk, I think wimmin in cool Jeeps are HOT

#11 ·
Ok, thanks for all your advice. I got a skyjacker 2.5 leaf kit. It is being put on n ow and also got hydro shocks to match. Can';t wait til i can drive my jeep!

#12 ·
You'll love the lift - and most likely after a little while you'll be thinking about more upgrades. :)

#13 ·
Yeah, but its the opposite for my. My HUBBY laughs at me for bouncing into my Jeep. The Jeep is sky high and I am 5'3, and I am not stopping. I will finally have the worst of it done by mid August.I got dynomite in my combat boots to launch me into the drivers seat.
Next year I am going up as high as I can with out getting new axles and gears and whatever else. Need some mechanics classes before that.
In a Jeep once you've gone up you cant stop.Because there is allways another Jeep somewhere out there taller than you and we just cant have that now can we?
Nicole

#14 ·
Ok...I got a 2.5 leaf kit from Skyjacker - AMAZING!! I am loving my new jeep. I actually gained 3 inches from the lift kit. MY jeep before the mod looked as if it was sitting down and hunched over - now - WATCH OUT! <smiles> My old leafs were completely rusted out and my jeep was crying for help. My mechanic charged me about 200 for labor and the kit cost me 575. I love it! :D

#16 ·
On the downside, I didnt take any before pictures. MY jeep looked as if it was tired and leaning over to the side. I will invest in a camera soon to get some pics on here to post. Are there any directions on how to put a pic on this board?
Thanks for all the advice and comments!

#17 ·
If you have webspace, the best thing is to scan your picture in, and use the UBB code of IMG and /IMG to link in the picture from your homesite.

If you don't have webspace with your internet account, there are many free webspace hosting places that will allow the pictures to be shown from other sites. I currently use http://www.theglobe.com for my webspace, and link my pictures in...

.. and a picture of my Jeep in March of this year ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.