Violent Shudder/Vibration when Downshifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Violent Shudder/Vibration when Downshifting

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
badazzpolaris
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Violent Shudder/Vibration when Downshifting

As the title says, I have a pretty violent shudder/Vibration when downshifting from second to first gear (auto tranny) and haven't found any help in multiple searches.

I recently finished my build on Jeep and towed it up to my cabin on a tow dolly. Rear drive shaft was disconnected and no problems during trip. Upon reconnecting drive shaft and driving, the jeep shudders/vibrates when downshifting and coming to a stop (less than 5mph, maybe 3mph) it shudders so badly it feels like motor is going to stall or fall out. If I shift to neutral-shudder stops, if I reapply gas pedal-shudder stops. No vibrations or problem on acceleration.

Drive shaft was marked when disconnected, however I have attempted to change mounting position with no change in problem. U joints appear fine.

Jeep was taken down to the frame and rebuilt from there up. The only mods from frame down were some rust repair on the frame as well as Chassis Saver. No changes were made to the drive line. I drove it a few thousand miles with lift kit on before pulling tub and no problems then.

INFO- 94 YJ Wrangler, 2.5l, auto trans, 4in RE kit, T/C drop, NO SYE, 32in BFG's, unknown mileage(but alot).

Any ideas on where to start or what to check? I'm thinking changing the tranny fluid as a start. But any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've done several searches and not been able to find anyone with a similar problem. I would like to check everything I can before taking it into a shop.

badazzpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
badazzpolaris
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No ideas from anyone?
badazzpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

No Rear DS and no SYE while towing Have you checked the fluid level in your T case ?

Bad engine or Tranny mounts could cause the vibration also

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.