Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Violent shake... Not death wobble

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mattready 
#1 ·
92 yj 4.0 5spd, procomp coil conversion, 33" tires. I have very violent shake that rumbles and slams the jeep at around 35-40 mph. My zj had dw and I fixed it with new front control arm bushings. I am familiar with the death wobble. What I am getting on the yj is a very similar bucking, but my steering wheel does not shimmy like the zj did. It is so violent it shakes everything until I stop. The old jeep would only buck at a certain speed, but if you accelerated or slowed 5 mph it stopped.... The wrangler just heaves violently until I stop.

I thought maybe it was a bad ujoint (I do not have a cye kit yet) so I pulled the rear driveshaft out and drove in front wheel drive. Same issue. Violent shaking and bouncing. I also jacked up rear and checked the tires for wobble by spinning by hand. No issues. I took tire completely off and did a visual on everything. No missing bolts or broken parts. Reinstalled tires and took test drive. Same issues.

Anyone have the coil conversion and ran into this problem. Like I said, it's very violent like death wobble, but I think its in the rear because my steering doesnt shimmy when it goes off.

#2 ·
Where are you feeling this shake in your butt, in the gearshifter, and since you it not in the steering wheel. Thing to check motor mounts, trans mounts and loose bolts in the rear axle including ubolts.

#3 ·
It is the whole vehicle, kind of a oscillating up and down side to side slamming. I do not feel anything in the shifter or in the wheel. Have you eve driven a vehicle with a clutch not centrered? It is very similar to that but I do not feel the shaking in the clutch petal or any user parts like steering or shifter. It seems to be coming from rear of vehicle.

#4 ·
Well you should check the rear end mounting points. You butt tells you it seem to be back there that would be where I would be looking.

#5 ·
Not sure how the coil conversion works but I would check or replace the bushings in the trac bars first. That is a trac bar the one that goes from the frame to the axle. Check both the one in front and rear.
Even though you do not see any wobble when spinning the tires I would still have them ballanced.

#6 ·
SOB! It was not in the rear after all. The front trackbar bolt had come slightly loose. Pulled it out, regreased the bushing, and lock-tight on the bolt. No more shakes. Also did a skidplate lowering kit. It helped with a bit of vibe I was getting. Time to spend some $$$ on the slip yoke eliminator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.