Vibrations in rear need a direction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibrations in rear need a direction

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Vibrations in rear need a direction

Just to get an understanding for my jeep. I have a 94 YJ. It has a 4.0 and its a 5 speed manual. I have installed a 4" rubicon lift, 8 degree shims , hack and tap, an xj front front shaft cut and balanced for my new rear, 33" tires, T-case drop kit, 1 1/4 lift shackles front and rear.

So now down to the problem. So when I put on the lift it had a massive vibration in the rear so naturally I needed a new to me drive shaft and went with a hack and tap. After that the vibrations went down alot but it was still there so I upped to the 8 degree shims instead of the 4s that came with the kit. This again reduced the vibrations. But it was still there at 35mph.

After some looking I seen the cv was a little close on the rotation to the knucles so I installed the T-case drop kit that came with the lift and it almost eliminated the vibes. But they were now only there at 55mph and on low rpm starts.

I was ok with it but decided have the mechanics look at it while fixing some other things. They said that I had to come up 4 more degrees on the rear axle. I told them that I have new shackles that would lift it more and they said that would give me more angle and be enough to get me in a safe operating angle. So I got the shackles yesterday and installed them.

Now the vibrations are as bad as before I installed the t- case drop kit. It looks to me like the cv is bottoming out and on load from the vehicle when driving its rubbing and causing vibes. It gets worse as speed increases. The mechanic did say my cv was going bad but this seems alot worse then a just starting to go bad CV. I took some pics and will be changing into the new CV tuesday but I was wondering what you guys think

Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the pics
img_0700.jpg   img_0701.jpg   img_0702.jpg   img_0703.jpg   img_0705.jpg  

Unread 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a slip yoke, AND a cv shaft? That what it looks like on my I phone.
Tarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you replace all the U-joints when you had the shaft shortened? I'm running a 2" BDS with 2" BL and 1.5 shackles and a 8.8 with SYE and NO TC drop with not a single vibration. I'm thinking it's the XJ shafts U-joints as well.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpo View Post
Do you have a slip yoke, AND a cv shaft? That what it looks like on my I phone.
I do have a slip yoke in the driveshaft its bellow the cv joint.
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Did you replace all the U-joints when you had the shaft shortened? I'm running a 2" BDS with 2" BL and 1.5 shackles and a 8.8 with SYE and NO TC drop with not a single vibration. I'm thinking it's the XJ shafts U-joints as well.
I did replace all of the u joints when I got it cut and balanced. I know this seems weird and they say every jeep is different but this thing seems to be different in the way of the worst in each. Seems I am always getting the bad end of the result and have to do all the work

Whatever its a jeep and im glad im just down to small things like chasing small vibes

But i drove it around yesterday all day and the vibes werent to bad but at 50-55 mph the vibes were there and I can really strt to hear this CV going it has a clunking sound every once in awhile on the rotatings... does that make any sense?

Thank you for you time and any replies
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
alc60560
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the cv, you should only need first peice with the ball. Napa has them
alc60560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

check with angle finder.

What angle is your driveshaft? what angle is your pinion yoke? it looks high to me....
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc60560 View Post
Replace the cv, you should only need first peice with the ball. Napa has them
Check your driveshaft
https://youtu.be/uwMQTr_BpTY
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Check your driveshaft
https://youtu.be/uwMQTr_BpTY
Thanks guys for the advice. I dont know the angles and I have to buy a tool to do so the right way. Unless you guys know another way ?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.