vibrations in front axle and 4wd light stays on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > vibrations in front axle and 4wd light stays on

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

vibrations in front axle and 4wd light stays on

about a week ago, i was driving along a bayou on grass(i was in 2WD at the time) when a large mound covered with grass came out of no where and i flew about 4 feet in the air. i initially was afraid that i mightve broken something but all that i noticed were my wheel fenders popping off so i thought nothing of it. earlier today, i went into 4WD to get better traction in the rain and then once it stopped i took it out, but the light stayed on. i jacked it up and checked the tires and the vacuum lines and even though the lights on, only two tires are moving. i took the vacuum lines off and only one is getting suction and thats the one that is NOT attached to the transfer case. i also noticed that around the time of the light staying on, there was a fierce vibrating in the front axle when going around 55mph which couldnt be from the jump because i could easily drive fast after it and this only started today. are these problems related? and does anyone know how to fix them?

yoyoyo109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you think it is locked in4 WD dont drive it on blacktop.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your cad didnt disengage and the vibes are probably from the unbalanced drive-shaft turning all the time. To test this out jack up the passenger front tire leaving the driver front tire on the ground, do this with the engine running and in nuetral and t-case in 2wd. you should be able to turn the passenger front tire freely, if not you are in 4wd and it is a problem with your linkage. If you are able to turn the tire freely look at the front drive shaft it should not spin with the tire, if it does spin that means your cad in stuck in the locked position and that should be your problem.

Your front axle is a two peice axle and is unlocked in 2wd alowing the tires to spin without the gears and driveshaft turning. It is controlled by a vacuum actuated cad that slides a fork over to lock the axle together when you put the tcas in 4wd. Im guessing this fork was damaged and isnt allowing the axle to unlock.

Id pop open the cad and take a look to see if the fork can move freely.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4wd , front axle , vacuum lines , vibrations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.