JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Vibrations again but no idea this time (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/vibrations-again-but-no-idea-time-1543681/)

Benzfrd 07-01-2013 04:17 PM

Vibrations again but no idea this time

So I resently installed a lift kit and a hack and tap on my 94 yj. All was well for while till the other day I noticed a vibraton in the rear, I thought nothing of it and just kept on. The noise grew louder till I was able to hear it all the time. The vib would even stay there while I was in neutral and the clutch pushed in, It seemed as if it was in the wheel bearings or something. I could not feel it in the steering but just a vib threw the seat and whole truck really. So after some pocking around I found my driveshaft was twisted and about to snap so I took it to the shop and he said that could be the problem here the splines are bent the ball springs in the cardon are shot and the ball was damaged

SO I figure throw it in 4 and drive it home. Weel i found out the vibes are still there around 35-45 and on top of that it sounds like **** now and Im worried to even drive it. The vibes are worse and the noise coming from the trans sounds like its out of fluid. But its not. I checked all fluids and everything seems ok. So I dorve it home obviously and was under the truck. I did see the driveshaft seemed to rub on the exhaust some how and the shaft seemed tight no wobble or movement. And the pumpkin was very warm not hot just very warm.

I am lost and not sure if this will make sense to you guys but please help me out. I have been searching the internet and everybody else either the noise stops when the clutch is in which mine isnt or it was the u joints which it cant be because the shaft isnt in anymore. I was thinking the hub bearing or the shaft u joint?? Does that sound like a good start ?

rambo3489 07-01-2013 04:28 PM

T-case bearing shot? If it sounds like the problem is coming from the tranny/t-case and is still there when you are on the clutch it has to be after the gearbox. Maybe I'm wrong here? Maybe your front shaft is installed incorrectly, bent or unbalanced? Or something with the lift changed angles or something. Is your CAD working properly?

Benzfrd 07-02-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo3489 (Post 15629594)
T-case bearing shot? If it sounds like the problem is coming from the tranny/t-case and is still there when you are on the clutch it has to be after the gearbox. Maybe I'm wrong here? Maybe your front shaft is installed incorrectly, bent or unbalanced? Or something with the lift changed angles or something. Is your CAD working properly?

Hey thanks man for the response. any idea n a way to check the tcase bearing without pulling the whole thing out ? Also what is a CAD?

So I did lift the jeep and still just kept the stock front shaft. But because of its length I was told it should be fine. But im unsure of this since it wasnt from a good source. As far as the front shaft being unbalanced or bent it drove offroad fine the past few times and since then I have not takin it off the truck. I do know it on the right way though I put it in and it really only goes one way. But thanks for the ideas I am still lost.

I did find out today to fix the old driveshaft it will cost me $315 or get a custom for $385 and a guarenee that it will never break. Any help with that or cheaper ways around let me know lol

rambo3489 07-02-2013 06:30 PM

Not that I know of. I doubt its a tcase bearing. Those things are pretty stout. A CAD is a Central Axle Disconnect. Its in your front dana 30. Search for info on it.

My best bet is your front driveshaft is unbalanced. It wouldn't act up off road because the speeds are lower. Once you get it on the road if your CAD is connected it will spin quickly and will cause vibrations if not reasonably balanced.

Also make sure your u-joints are going the right way. They should be in line. Not perpendicular.

Benzfrd 07-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo3489 (Post 15634244)
Not that I know of. I doubt its a tcase bearing. Those things are pretty stout. A CAD is a Central Axle Disconnect. Its in your front dana 30. Search for info on it.

My best bet is your front driveshaft is unbalanced. It wouldn't act up off road because the speeds are lower. Once you get it on the road if your CAD is connected it will spin quickly and will cause vibrations if not reasonably balanced.

Also make sure your u-joints are going the right way. They should be in line. Not perpendicular.

ok I will get the front shaft balanced again and go from there. Also I was wandering if you or anybody on here knows how to check the wheel bearings or the hub bearings I think they are called. I was able to lift the tires and when I grabbed the tires i wiggled them side to side and pulled and pushed. They did have a little play but not much should that be tight. Also when moving them side to side I did notice the tie rods are were most if not some of the movement was. ANy ideas ???

rambo3489 07-05-2013 03:30 PM

Where is the vibration? do you feel it primarily in the steering wheel or the floor? Your hubs are sealed and you will know when they go out. Probably gonna squeak and grind like hell. If the play is where your tie rod connects to your knuckle your tie rod ends are bad. Your ball joints may be going out too. Check those too. If the vibration is at higher speeds this could likely add to or be the cause of your problems.

Benzfrd 07-14-2013 08:11 PM

So after some poking and looking this is what I came to find. First I found out my driveshaft in the rear was shot. It had a major twist in the spline end. I sent it to a shop and he totally tore it down and found the ball was hyper extended and it just was waiting to blow and then when compounded with wheeling I had smashed the ball and seal and mashed the retrnsion spring. Then the shaft twisted and that's that. So I ordered a customs shaft from axle exchange in nj. And was looking around the front and dropped the shaft in the front. Here I find it is bent as well and the u joints were worn but not shot.
I got the front shaft repaired and have good u joints with greasable ends. I'm unsure if this will fix the problem with the clunk noise. But who knows maybe it was that and I got lucky

Benzfrd 07-14-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo3489 (Post 15644335)
Where is the vibration? do you feel it primarily in the steering wheel or the floor? Your hubs are sealed and you will know when they go out. Probably gonna squeak and grind like hell. If the play is where your tie rod connects to your knuckle your tie rod ends are bad. Your ball joints may be going out too. Check those too. If the vibration is at higher speeds this could likely add to or be the cause of your problems.

So I looked at the tie rod ends and they are shot. The drag link end is shot as well. I can grab it and turn it very easily by hand. There is a dead spot in the steering but I like it for now. Expecially when it costs $280 for the drag link and tie rod and all the ends. Thanks for the heads up on the hubs though I don't think it's those anymore really.

I think the noise was from the bent front shaft and when the rear was takin out I was just on the front and when it spun just right it would hit the exhaust. But who knows. I will find out soon. Hopefully tomorrow I will have all the parts in and pull an all nighter

The time now is 09:35 AM.