Vibration at 35mph-40mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration at 35mph-40mph

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
Brick24

Vibration at 35mph-40mph

Hey Guys,
Took my 87 YJ out wheeling last weekend and on my way into work the next day I found I had a not so fun vibration at 35mph. The whole jeep isn't really vibrating, but the dash is and making a lot of racket. I crawled underneath and poked around, looks like my u joints are ok, no shiny spots on my rims anywhere, but there's some play (not rotational) from my drive shaft as it leaves the t case. Is that normal? Do I just need to replace the bushings/bearings there? There’s no lift, just 30” tires.

My passenger front wheel bearing needs to be replaced as well, but that's been that way for a while so I don't really think that's what is causing the vibration (parts are on their way).

Thanks for any insight!

Brick24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats an odd speed to have a vibe at. mine started doing it at 30mph when i lifted it the other day so i would check that driveshaft again, maybe that movement is a no-go?
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Play side to side is not normal for the driveshaft. I'm assuming your talking play at the rear u joint/yoke and not the output shaft, although side to side play at the output shaft is not good either?
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Brick24

This is play at the output shaft, before the u joints. It's not much play, but enough to wiggle a little. Is there a bearing in there that could be failing that would cause it?
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check your wheels for mud. It's a long shot, but I have personally experienced that, and you did just go out wheeling before it started. Check for missing wheel weights too.
bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Brick24

Haha, no mud out here. Checked for shiny spots on the wheels, didn't see anything.

Tags
drive shaft , transfer case , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.