vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > vibration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
honda11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

vibration

In my 95 yj i am getting a pretty good vibration at 30 mph to about 40 mph it stops after that i am stumped on what this could be wheels are balanced

honda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

did this just start randomly? did you recently install and aftermarket or oem parts?
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
honda11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes used oem parts and it did start kinda randomly i think it may be my driveshaft angle but not sure
Unread 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You must give more info to get an answer.

Have you done anything (and if so, what) to the drivetrain, suspension, driveline angles, etc?
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
honda11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It has had a 4" lift on it for a year now nothing but replaceing the transmission mount on skid plate has been touched and it helped alot but still have the vibration at 40 to 50 mph
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda11 View Post
It has had a 4" lift on it for a year now nothing but replaceing the transmission mount on skid plate has been touched and it helped alot but still have the vibration at 40 to 50 mph
Does this happen at low rpms? If so, It's probably drive-line related. actually, it's probably drive-line related anyway. If, it can happen at higher rpms also then it may be steering related but you'll have to provide a bit more info.
TrentYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
honda11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rpms dont seem to affect it really just like i said at that speed its real rough after that it smooths out
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda11 View Post
Rpms dont seem to affect it really just like i said at that speed its real rough after that it smooths out
Well the reason I ask is after I installed my 4" lift I got some pretty bad driveline vibes at a particular speed but the effect was worse at lower rpms. So, it could very well be your pinion angle. However, it is not uncommon to have loose steering components causing some noticeable vibration at particular speeds. Its really hard to tell unless your driving the vehicle but that may narrow it down some. By the way do you have an sye/transfer case drop installed? that would obviously eliminate the first option.
Unread 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK after carefully re-reading these posts, I'm about 90% sure its the pinion angle. I remember after reaching a certain speed I would "get out" of the vibration zone. Also you would feel the vibrations near the rear of the jeep. I only reserve the 10% bc it seems as though the vibrations just started although you've had a lifted suspension for over a year which seems strange. Vibrations and frictional wear are THE causes of mechanical failure so, the fact that your just experiencing vibrations means something is about to go. Whether it be a pinion seal or something catastrophically fails, your driveline components are most likely under too much stress. Next time you get a chance, see if your loosing any fluid at the t-case or pinion seal as that will probably be wearing out first. Next, I would correct it with a t-case drop (easy to home-make) or an SYE adapter kit.
Unread 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I would be suspect of a rear shaft U joint. If the lift was installed one year ago and the vibes just now shows itself, good chance it's a joint.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
honda11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies i plan on dropping my trans a half inch and replaceing my u joint as well
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replace your u joints and then take a test drive. Problem still there THEN spend the money on a tcase drop.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
honda11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I already made one just gona make anouther with a bit more drop

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.