Vehicle Vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vehicle Vibration

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
JEEPSC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Vehicle Vibration

I'm having a bad vibration at the top of 2 and bottom of third mostly. Though all gears do it some. It's only under load because when i let off the peddle the vibration goes away. It shakes the whole jeep pretty much. Ive changed the plugs, wires and fuel filter in hopes that it was just some sort of hesitation problem but now I'm at a loss. HELP! This is my DD. Thanks.

JEEPSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did this start all at once? Recently? Do you feel the vibration the most in your seat or in your hands (through the wheel)?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
JEEPSC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it just started today. Thought id add i only have a shackle lift so i dont think its a driveline alignment issue. I can feel it in the seat the steering wheel and through my feet.
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

A shackle lift still effects the drivline angle, any change in suspension (ride height) changes this angle... A body lift would have no effect. All of that aside, I agree that a shakle lift shouldn't be causing this issue, especially all at once.

The usual start is going to be the driveshaft ujoints. You'll need to chuck the tires, place the heep in neutral, and crawl under to check the drive shaft for forward and aft play, as well as side to side play. Any play at all, especially near the pinion, would point towards a failing ujoint.

If you have an SYE you can remove the rear drive shaft, drive the heep in 4wd and see if there is a difference. This will allow you to eliminate rear ujoints as the problem entirely.

Vibrations can also come from the front axle shaft ujoints, the are somewhat harder to inspect. I'm sure some of our more tenured folks will be in here soon to offer adtl advise.

Good luck!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
JEEPSC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I'll just go ahead and swap the u joints tomorrow thanks for the advice.
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
JEEPSC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Another question, would bad u joints on the rear drive shaft cause pre mature failure of the transfer case output shaft seal?
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Robob69
JEEPSR made to be Dirty!!

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the seal going bad real fast as I did on my 95 YJ it was the rear OP shaft was bent and thus caused a bad Vibration.
I changed Axle Shafts U joints, Drive Shaft and Still was there...
Then the Awesome people here told me about the Shaft.. Sure enough!!! Fixed it...
If you done have an SYE pull the drive shaft and put the tranny in Neutral and spin the shaft and watch it to see if there is ANY wobble at all...

But yes your U joints can cause the seal as well to go bad if there is enough vibration..

Hope this helps a bit...
Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
JEEPSC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it does thank you.
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check engine and trans mounts as well. I had a rocky time on flat pavement because of blown engine mounts

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.