VamosJeep's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > VamosJeep's Build Thread

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

VamosJeep's Build Thread

I have lurked around JeepForum for a lil while now and decided I should put up my "build" Thread.

Purchased the jeep in 06' after it was in an accident. Got it running in the summer of 07' then realized at the end of summer that my frame was going to need replaced instead of patching every bit I could.

Doner frame out of an 89 sahara. $200 at the junkyard

Start of the tear down Feb of 07'

Rebuild started beginning of March 07'

Started to Paint

Jeep originally had 37's with 3.07 I steped it down to 35's then eventually down to 33's

As of a month ago I swapped in a 8.8 lsd and a built hp d30 with cromoly shafts/ Aussie locker and 35" MTRs

As she sits now

I know after doing this every part of my vehicle through and through. My suggestion if you need to replace a frame... FIND A NEW JEEP! lol

VamosJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosJEEP View Post
I have lurked around JeepForum for a lil while now and decided I should put up my "build" Thread.

Purchased the jeep in 06' after it was in an accident. Got it running in the summer of 07' then realized at the end of summer that my frame was going to need replaced instead of patching every bit I could.

Doner frame out of an 89 sahara. $200 at the junkyard

Start of the tear down Feb of 07'

Rebuild started beginning of March 07'

Started to Paint

Jeep originally had 37's with 3.07 I steped it down to 35's then eventually down to 33's

As of a month ago I swapped in a 8.8 lsd and a built hp d30 with cromoly shafts/ Aussie locker and 35" MTRs

As she sits now

I know after doing this every part of my vehicle through and through. My suggestion if you need to replace a frame... FIND A NEW JEEP! lol
clicka free
Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks

I forgot to mention... I have put a deposit on my roll cage!
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
kmart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

-I know after doing this every part of my vehicle through and through. My suggestion if you need to replace a frame... FIND A NEW JEEP! lol

I would agree with you there!! I just completed a frame swap on my 88 YJ that I hope to post in a build thread soon. The frame was totally rusted out, and hindsight being 20/20, it would have been much easier to find a different jeep. But you do gain a lot of experience for future projects.
Red Jeep Club Member #541
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #179
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Maryland95YJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i love it, and i agree with the frame, I had the option to buy a 86 cj7 for 500 bucks but turned it down due to rotten frame, The guy that did buy it ended up stranded on a trail. he did not check out the frame before buying and ended up breaking it right above the drivers side rear axle.
Maryland95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ouch. I knew there were some bad spots on the frame when I bought it. I knew the infamous frame rot wasn't going to go away so I figured I would just cough up the $200 and buy a good frame.

I have bought rusted out CJ's just to turn around and part them out. I know now there is no use to try to repair body or frame rot. lol

Thanks for your comments
Unread 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some wheelin pics/vids

Unread 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
jakechristina
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good
I'm Glad to see that you remained hydrated during your work! Thats very important
jakechristina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Hydration is #1 in my book. lol
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lil update:

I picked up a cage built by a local shop that builds monster trucks. It was installed in another jeep when I picked it up. Used but never tested lol. I liked the overall build but I thought it needed some more. It came with 2 corbeau full suspension seats and 2-5 pt harnesses. Its an 8 point cage. The cage will be getting tied into the frame on all 8 points. Here are some pics.

The new bars installed. The red parts are the cage before the extra bars were put in.

Then I sanded and painted the whole thing. The cage was painted with Krylon ultra flat Khacki.

I will post pics as the install comes along. Will possibly have it done by the end of the week.
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mocked it into the jeep. Still need to do some modifying. Looks like the dash pad will be getting pulled out to get it to sit down all the way. Will post more pics as the install comes along.

Unread 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
thetrashman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I<3Your Jeep

My Build Thread
thetrashman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

did your rear corners affect the tj flare swap as far as getting in the way with grinding?
tato1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Trashman!

The corners are aluminum. More for show than anything else so they were easily trimed.
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

^^^i have diamond plate ones like that so should i expect to trim them?
tato1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.