Valvoline - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Valvoline

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 11-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
87laredo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Valvoline

Any opinions on valvoline conventional 10w30 vs pennzoil or Quaker State.

87laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
rescue7
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Valvoline is excellent and returns the lowest wear numbers out of all the oils when it comes to the 4.0 and 2.5. However, if you don't want to look at it that deeply, all brands are great, and super close. Just look for an API certification, and get the proper grade. Good to go after that. Oh, and get a good filter. Cheers
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I try to use Havoline 10w30. Im not saying it is superior, it is what me and my dad could get at a good price when I was growing up. Now it seems like it is one of the more expensive oils and, even though, I have ran a different name brand once or twice I try to run the same oil every time. I think the best thing you can do for your engine is keep the oil and filter changed properly. I have a WJ with 134K that has had Havoline and Castrol ran in it and a YJ with 140K that has had Havoline and Pennzoil ran in it. I try to put in the same oil every 5k if not sooner. Combined with spark pug changes, air filters, and intake cleanings they both run strong as I ever remember.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running Valvoline in my vehicles since I started driving in 1994. I have no hard data to back up my usage but have suffered no engine failures. I am reasonably certain that oil brand x or y would have been good too. I just stick to what works for me.
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

I had problems with quaker state from sludge formation and hard, crusty deposits in top of cylinder heads. It was the only oil I used for 5 years. Since switching to valvoline on FI engines and Rotella on carbed motors, no sludge problems going on 20 years now.
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Matters not what brand you use if you change it regularly.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ View Post
Matters not what brand you use if you change it regularly.

.....AND to keep the oil level up into the "hash marks" or full.

My Dad always said: "Any oil is better than NO oil."

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
murilstone
1987 YJ Wrangler 

personally i have always used Valvoline (or castrol made by Valvoline) sense the early 80s when i started driving/
murilstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.