Valve cover to do's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Valve cover to do's?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Valve cover to do's?

I've wanted to take off my aluminum valve cover, clean it up and put a new gasket in for a while now. It seems easy enough, I assume I can get it done in an hour or so unless I decide to paint it. Couple questions:

- I'm debating painting the valve cover, any special prep required other than cleaning it up and hitting it with an engine primer and then color?

- Is there anything else I should do/inspect while the cover is off?

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good thread, I was just thinking the same thing to myself the other day.
pbmustache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

PREP PREP And PREP Again,

Then start with using a self etching primer and you'll be good to go

and check here for a good basic write up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...63/?highlight=

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Gage56;15894001]...using a self etching primer and you'll be good to go...QUOTE]

That is probably the most important part of painting aluminum other than degreasing and prepping it first- the etching primer.
fishadventure is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I just did this not too long ago. I replaced everything on the valve cover like the ccv elbow and gromet plus the metal fitting on the front. Also replaced the gasket. I just cleaned the valve cover real good and scuffed it up with a red scotchbrite pad and painted it with some duplicolor engine paint. Held up good so far.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A good de-greaser is purple power which can be found at wally world in the auto section or any auto parts store. I just want to say to you WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. I didnt know this the first time I used it, it might even strip some paint off for you.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It will take the moisture out of your skin and prolonged use will dry your skin permanently. I can no longer touch any kind of animal from the ocean after using that stuff for three years with gloves. We used it daily at almost full strength and it messed my hands up. Shrimp, fish, crustaceans, all of them now make my skin dry out, turn red, and then peel off to hurt until new skin grows back. Never had an issue till that stuff and I grew up fishing and surfing the days away so I know I had no issues prior to that.

Use gloves!!! Having to change your past time sucks.
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
jmmorgan82

I hit my valve cover with some degreaser, then brake cleaner, then followed that up with a wire wheel on my drill. Gave it a good rinse then sprayed on a few coats of engine enamel. 6 months or so later, paint still looks great.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.