??? Vacuum routing question ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ??? Vacuum routing question ???

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-04-2002, 09:51 PM   #1
Bob K

??? Vacuum routing question ???

Don't even ask me to describe all the things I've removed and modified under the hood of my '87 YJ with the 258 I6. I can't even remember how it all evolved to the point it is at today. My one question is this:

If I were to run only one vacuum line to my distributor, no others spliced in, where is the best place to attach the vacuum line to? Manifold, carb, ported, unported?

I am presently still using the vacuum swithches up on the firewall above the valve cover in the distributor vacuum advance system. I don't understand exactly why, but the vacuum often holds in the line for several seconds up to over a minute until it releases and allows the idle to drop back down to where it should be.

31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
Mudpig

I don't know what all the other vacuum lines do but you should run advance from ported vacuum on the carb.
It's a jeep thing, I do understand!! 89 YJ Laredo,4.2L carburated. Chrome bumpers and grill. 31 AT's on 9x15 chrome modulars. Mustang GT buckets. 3" body lift and 1 1/2" shackle lift. Completely emission & computer free. Runs great!! Took the shackle lift out, they suck!!
Soon to be SOA with 35's
Mudpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 06:07 AM   #3
Bob K

Is the ported vacuum the one on the right center of the carb? In diagrams it appears to be the one near the EGR valve.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
stilllearning6
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bob K -- based upon the schematics of the 1988 YJ 258 BBD feedback carb, the vacuum hose feeding to the vac adv of distributor receives/ carries manifold vacuum , not ported vac . The manifold vacuum source can be any inlet at the base of the Carter BBD ; the base carb inlets are all manifold vacuum sources. If my memory serves me correctly , the one that is OEM setup comes off the brass fitting near the EGR . The 2 fittings bolted to the firewall, called the " Vacuum Switch Assembly " , are the "green 10 inch manifold vac switch" and the "white 4 inch ported vac switch" . They switch " open / closed" and can feed juice back to the MCU based upon engine load : that is based upon the change in manifold vac and ported vac. The switches of the 10/ 4 are controlled by separate vacuum hoses feeding into each of them separately . There is a black /purple delay valve coupled with a small black vacuum reservoir built in-line with one of them , that is into the " green 10 inch manifold vac switch " feed hose . The MCU receives the input from the Vacuum Switch Assembly and then does its thing . I have been unable to read a detailed explanation of exactly what the MCU will do in response to the input from the 10/4 switches . I am theorizing that either the MCU changes timing / the MCU changes air fuel mix . This has stumped the Jeep dealer mechanics . The only source of ported vac would be from the location above the throttle plates , the carb outlet half way up the carb and facing the valve cover . This ported vac source also feeds ported vac to the 4 inch vac switch on the firewall , feeds ported vac to the CTO --> TVS in air box --> EGR system , feeds the ported vac to CTO --> Charcoal Evap Canister "signal" purge inlet . Hope this applies to your rig. I do not know if you rig is same as mine .
stilllearning6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.