??? Vacuum routing question ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ??? Vacuum routing question ???

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-04-2002, 09:51 PM   #1
Bob K

??? Vacuum routing question ???

Don't even ask me to describe all the things I've removed and modified under the hood of my '87 YJ with the 258 I6. I can't even remember how it all evolved to the point it is at today. My one question is this:

If I were to run only one vacuum line to my distributor, no others spliced in, where is the best place to attach the vacuum line to? Manifold, carb, ported, unported?

I am presently still using the vacuum swithches up on the firewall above the valve cover in the distributor vacuum advance system. I don't understand exactly why, but the vacuum often holds in the line for several seconds up to over a minute until it releases and allows the idle to drop back down to where it should be.

31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
Mudpig

I don't know what all the other vacuum lines do but you should run advance from ported vacuum on the carb.
It's a jeep thing, I do understand!! 89 YJ Laredo,4.2L carburated. Chrome bumpers and grill. 31 AT's on 9x15 chrome modulars. Mustang GT buckets. 3" body lift and 1 1/2" shackle lift. Completely emission & computer free. Runs great!! Took the shackle lift out, they suck!!
Soon to be SOA with 35's
Mudpig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2002, 06:07 AM   #3
Bob K

Is the ported vacuum the one on the right center of the carb? In diagrams it appears to be the one near the EGR valve.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
stilllearning6
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bob K -- based upon the schematics of the 1988 YJ 258 BBD feedback carb, the vacuum hose feeding to the vac adv of distributor receives/ carries manifold vacuum , not ported vac . The manifold vacuum source can be any inlet at the base of the Carter BBD ; the base carb inlets are all manifold vacuum sources. If my memory serves me correctly , the one that is OEM setup comes off the brass fitting near the EGR . The 2 fittings bolted to the firewall, called the " Vacuum Switch Assembly " , are the "green 10 inch manifold vac switch" and the "white 4 inch ported vac switch" . They switch " open / closed" and can feed juice back to the MCU based upon engine load : that is based upon the change in manifold vac and ported vac. The switches of the 10/ 4 are controlled by separate vacuum hoses feeding into each of them separately . There is a black /purple delay valve coupled with a small black vacuum reservoir built in-line with one of them , that is into the " green 10 inch manifold vac switch " feed hose . The MCU receives the input from the Vacuum Switch Assembly and then does its thing . I have been unable to read a detailed explanation of exactly what the MCU will do in response to the input from the 10/4 switches . I am theorizing that either the MCU changes timing / the MCU changes air fuel mix . This has stumped the Jeep dealer mechanics . The only source of ported vac would be from the location above the throttle plates , the carb outlet half way up the carb and facing the valve cover . This ported vac source also feeds ported vac to the 4 inch vac switch on the firewall , feeds ported vac to the CTO --> TVS in air box --> EGR system , feeds the ported vac to CTO --> Charcoal Evap Canister "signal" purge inlet . Hope this applies to your rig. I do not know if you rig is same as mine .
stilllearning6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.