vacuum routing assistance(CTO) needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > vacuum routing assistance(CTO) needed

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
schwim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

vacuum routing assistance(CTO) needed

Hey there guys,

Info is tight in the YJ camp for some aspects of the vac system, in particular the CTO valve and evap canister.

I'm wondering if I can use the diagram in this thread to go by. I ask because everything I read told me to cap the one unused port on the CTO valve, while this guy's diagram leaves it open. I have Elvis' diagram as well, but it doesn't label the evap can at all, and he doesn't tell whether to plug the 5th port or leave it open.

In another thread, someone stated that the canister is labeled for which lines go where, so I'll try to find them tomorrow.

thanks,
json

Unread 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Crash1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look here http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
schwim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Got it already, thanks. It only adds to the fact that nobody can agree on anything, once the vac system has been modified by nutters and carb mods.

5th port, capped or not?

thanks,
json
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

most diagrams don't mention that extra port but the instructions I got with my howell kit specifically say that it's a vent and left open.
evap.jpg   cto.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
schwim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's awesome, man. Thanks very much for that.

thanks,
json
Unread 03-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I run mine just like the sprynet site, but tapped off of the ported line for the distributor after doing the Nutter.

I take it that CTO made it safely??
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
schwim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Indeed Tim, thanks very much.

I'm not sure what you mean about tapping off of the ported after doing the nutter. What changed for you from sprynet's or Elvis' diagram post-nutter?

thanks,
json
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

All the CTO valve does is prevent ported vacuum from reaching the EGR and canister before the engine is warmed up. It's just a valve that opens between the vacuum source (the engine) and the devices that use it (EGR and Canister) after the engine has reached a certain temperature. The extra port comes sealed from the factory... I don't really see the advantage of opening it up. At best, if the port isn't connected to anything, opening it will do absolutely nothing. At worst, if the port connects to the others, it will create an enormous vacuum leak.

As for the canister ports, they are labeled on the top of the housing. The Howell diagram above looks correct, execpt the one marked "tab" would be connected to your carb vent (if your carb has one). I would check the top of the canister to be sure though.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
schwim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
....At best, if the port isn't connected to anything, opening it will do absolutely nothing. At worst, if the port connects to the others, it will create an enormous vacuum leak.
Heya tshark, and thanks very much for your reply.

That was my concern. I just didn't want to introduce a huge vac leak once it warmed up

One more question. Is the CTO valve install a compression fit only, or do I need to use a sealant of some kind?

thanks,
json
Unread 03-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Indeed Tim, thanks very much.

I'm not sure what you mean about tapping off of the ported after doing the nutter. What changed for you from sprynet's or Elvis' diagram post-nutter?

thanks,
json
I wasn't clear. I used a "T" fitting in the line going back to the distributor vacuum advance. I just used it as the ported source, because I need all my crap to still look stock to pass CA emissions.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.