vacuum problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > vacuum problems

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
wdc

vacuum problems

I have a jeep wrangler 1990 inline 6. I have lost vacuum pressure to almost everyting. Four wheel will not engage. Engine dies at a stop when engaging the clutch. When at idle after warm up rpm's go up and down. Will not idle smoothe unless I throttle slightly. I do have vacuum on vacuum fitting. I have also noticed a slight back pressure sound in exhaust when going down hill. I have checked all the hoses (very many of them) and can't find any leaking. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to this you help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!!

wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

wdc,
Hook up a vacuum gauge to a hose coming from the manifold and get a reading at idle. The two most important things are what the reading is, and how the needle fluctuates. A perfect reading is 18-20 with the needle perfectly still.

If your engine has no vacuum at all, that is a sign of a major problem.

If it fluctuates it can be an indicator of various types of engine problems.

Drew
Unread 04-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000
wdc,
Hook up a vacuum gauge to a hose coming from the manifold and get a reading at idle. The two most important things are what the reading is, and how the needle fluctuates. A perfect reading is 18-20 with the needle perfectly still.

If your engine has no vacuum at all, that is a sign of a major problem.

If it fluctuates it can be an indicator of various types of engine problems.

Drew
Thanks for the info. I checked the vacuum and it is holding steady at about 20. Never had this sort of problem before and it is frustrating me seriously.
wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc
Thanks for the info. I checked the vacuum and it is holding steady at about 20. Never had this sort of problem before and it is frustrating me seriously.
If you have vacuum at the manifold then you must have a leak on one of the lines .. check for cracked and broken vac lines .. these do get brittle.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've found that a cheap can of starter fluid is your best friend when trying to track down a vacuum leak. Spray short bursts at the hoses in different locations, when you hear the engine rev when you spray, you've found the general area of the leak.
YJBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
amg61
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc
I have a jeep wrangler 1990 inline 6. I have lost vacuum pressure to almost everyting. Four wheel will not engage. Engine dies at a stop when engaging the clutch. When at idle after warm up rpm's go up and down. Will not idle smoothe unless I throttle slightly. I do have vacuum on vacuum fitting. I have also noticed a slight back pressure sound in exhaust when going down hill. I have checked all the hoses (very many of them) and can't find any leaking. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to this you help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!!
it's possible you have two unrelated problems. the fact that your 4-wheel drive will not engage is not that uncommon in these jeeps. search the forum for posi-lok solutions and that might help.

as for your idling issues, yes it may very well be a vacuum leak, but assuming you have that old carter carb, you may just have clogged idle tubes. there are a number of threads on this issue, but if you want to tackle your carb, without tossing it and swapping in a weber or mc2100, then try these fixes.

consider this carb fix:

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

with these pictures:

http://www.yellowjeep.org/Carb.html

and consider drilling out the venturi idle tubes to 0.040" with a #60 drill bit (by hand).

Also, a TFI ignition upgrade is great for that engine. search the forum for TFI upgrade info, or got to this site:

http://www.driveajeep.com/html/the__juicebox_.html

also, this site is awesome. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.