Vacuum Line Madness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vacuum Line Madness

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 09-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
DThomas
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Vacuum Line Madness

What is the best way to just get rid of all those pesky vacuum lines on my stock 87 YJ and still have an engine that runs?!?

DThomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They are only 'pesky' because you don't know how they work. Get a service manual (aftermarket or OEM), understand what the systems do, and fix any that are problematic.
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Gunbunny
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThomas View Post
What is the best way to just get rid of all those pesky vacuum lines on my stock 87 YJ and still have an engine that runs?!?

1. Carb change (MC2100, Weber, Holley, etc)
2. HEI
Gunbunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
brianOU
1988 YJ Wrangler 

MPI... i just ripped mine out last week, it was great.... spend 1.5 hr in a junkyard here, and so far i am up tp 300 dollars, and i have nearly everything i need. just have to get my wiring harness on.
brianOU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
They are only 'pesky' because you don't know how they work. Get a service manual (aftermarket or OEM), understand what the systems do, and fix any that are problematic.
^^^X2 Spend a little time researching all the lines and before you know it, it will all make sense like in the matrix when the vertically scrolling alpha-numeric characters turn into pictures for people who can interpret the code.

OR... there is also tons of info on getting rid alot of the emissions stuff:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ecm-removal-569016/
vac-mcu.jpg  
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

And for the 4wd System.....
4wd-vacuum-setup.jpg  
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And anutha one...

kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

my vote is for the MPI.
Unread 10-04-2008, 05:51 AM   #9
Cannon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Readers digest version.
-Pull and cap it if it's related to emissions. It shouldn't apply anymore for your jeeps' age.
-Inspect & repair if its related to 4wd.
'90YJ Hard & Soft w/Full Drs; 4.2 Rebuild w/ Webber, 30x10.5; Interstate MegatronII D34; Mods: Rock Guards; Hi Lift Inst; Herc'd Tub, Front & Under; Elev Rear Seat; Scty CntrConsole/ Overhead&Rear Boxes; KC Lights-Fr & Rear; PA Sys; Gauges; Int Lts; Batt/Alt Cable; Heater Mods; 8K Winch, KargoMaster Rack w/Yak Megawarrior Basket; Ground Lights (4);Dumped - Optima Yellow after only 4yrs
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.