Vacuum disconnect switch issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vacuum disconnect switch issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew! JK/U skid plate system.Yukon Zip Lockers FREE AIR COMPRESSOR AND ROCKRIDGE REBATE

Unread 04-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Yano_Aldar
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Vacuum disconnect switch issue

While replacing the axle seal last weekend, I determined that my vacuum axle disconnect is not working properly.

In 2wd, I have vacuum to the "disconnect" side of the vacuum motor.
Same when I move the t-case to 4wd, or any other position.

Vacuum motor works when vacuum is applied to either side.

Vacuum lines to the vacuum motor hold vacuum.

It appears to me that the vacuum switch is not switching, but otherwise works. Is this switch mechanically activated? How does it work?

I'm thinking I'll replace the vacuum switch, but before I do that, I'd like to know if there is a way to test the switch itself.

Can the switch be cleaned?

Yano_Aldar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
JGRIM
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The vacuum switch on the transfer case has a ball tip that rides on a cam on the shift plate. I had one freeze up and exhibit the same behavior you are seeing. They are not too difficult to remove and check for free motion. Jerry
JGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRIM View Post
The vacuum switch on the transfer case has a ball tip that rides on a cam on the shift plate. I had one freeze up and exhibit the same behavior you are seeing. They are not too difficult to remove and check for free motion. Jerry
Yeah, it is dead simple. Just unscrew it and you will see. If cleaning it doesnt fix it, you can usually find a NOS mopar part cheap on ebay. Last time I looked, I found one for $11
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Yano_Aldar
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I'll do that when I get home. Thank you!
Unread 05-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a spare I found in the shop. It works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Yano_Aldar
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So... Does anyone know the correct socket size for that switch? It's a bit harder to get to than I thought. I saw someone mention 13/16ths, but I'd like to know for sure before buying it.
Unread 05-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

1 1/16" end wrench. Try something short so you can swing it around under the jeep or you can take it out and do it on the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.