vacuum axle disconnect. i know i know. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > vacuum axle disconnect. i know i know.

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

vacuum axle disconnect. i know i know.

guys i have a question. i'm sure it's been covered somewhere but i want some advice. i have the stock vacuum axle disconnect that started not fuctioning properly last weekend. the vacuum switches as it should at the axle, the problem is it just seems to be low vacuum. it is strong off of the motor before it heads down to the xfer case but it's weak at the coupler to the axle. i took the entire harness off and stuck it in the bathtub to see if a had a leak anywhere but couldn't find one. what's next?

p.s. i have a locker in the front so really would like to fix the vacuum system.

jbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Truth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I also have a locker in the front. I have XJ shafts in mine with no disconnect. The front locker is invisible on the street other than a clicking when I turn. Do yourself a favor and ditch the disco. One of the best mods I've done.
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
I also have a locker in the front. I have XJ shafts in mine with no disconnect. The front locker is invisible on the street other than a clicking when I turn. Do yourself a favor and ditch the disco. One of the best mods I've done.
yeah, really not interested in doing that? what did it do to your 4x4 light? not interested in the locker ratcheting around every turn either. i think the servo at on the xfer case is working properly, i just have low vacuum at the disconnect on the axle. is there supposed to be some type of 1-way valve off of the motor going into the harness? i think it may be my culprit, it is very hard to suck air through. i may just bypass this and see what happens.
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Truth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I put the shift fork back on. Rides right over the shaft. Light still works fine, but do you really need a light to tell you you're in four wheel drive?
Unread 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
I put the shift fork back on. Rides right over the shaft. Light still works fine, but do you really need a light to tell you you're in four wheel drive?
no i don't need a light to tell me i'm in 4x4. i would just rather spend money on fixing the problem instead of xj shafts. before i go buy shafts i will just move the shift collar over with washers. you and i have a little different system though. you're 4x4 light is a separate vacuum actuator. mine in in the housing.
Unread 09-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have a posi-lock i'm selling if your looking to get one Original Replacement Parts PSL920 - 4x4 Posi-Lok for Lifted 87-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ & 84-91 Cherokee XJ, MJ - Quadratec, its a $100 +ship

it came with a d30 i bought, and it was practically new i have all the parts just no box
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.