Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Vacuum advance?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GatorsUF 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5L in my Jeep and it seems that when I hit the gas really fast it sputters really bad like its missing a cylinder. I was wondering what would cause this to happen? It also idles really weird, almost like a diesel.

#3 ·
I myself 'stumble' quite a bit on 'fast start ups' as opposed to when I was much younger. All kidding aside my analogy may be rather accurate. It has 20 year old technology for fuel/air/timing management that is now....well 20 years old. In addition, it was not good technology in the first place. Add to that your camshaft that has worn lobes and the valve train adds to your problems

When you punch the gas pedal you inject a whole bunch more fuel in a very short period of time. You also need your valve and distributer timing to adjust at the same time to burn that fuel at the proper moment. That is not happening so either the engine bogs (floods temporarily) or misfires because of the timing being wrong.

The fix is either going to be expensive which would mean a complete engine upgrade to a more modern one.
Or cheap which would mean your right foot has got to get real gentle.

#4 ·
Not the answer I was looking for, but makes sense. I am cool with not stomping it around town, thats not a big deal at all. But when I am out playing in the mud and my buddy rolls up behind me with his doors off, I have an obligation to give him a fresh coat of mud right in the face, however when I sputter away after lightly dropping the clutch it doesn't look so good for me :brickwall

So if you are correct, maybe my best bet is to get an I-6 someone is selling and slap that bad boy in there and go to town. Or even a Fuel Injected V8?? I'm thinkin the I-6 would be a better novice job since I do not claim to be a machanic, just ask my Jeep.

#5 ·
before you give up on the 4 banger, try a few things, when is the last time you changed the plugs, the aircleaner, plug wires, fuel filter? is the injector in the throtle body spraying well or does it look more like drips? run some injector cleaner thru it, maybe some seafoam. if it runs well around town when you take it easy, its probably an easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.