V8 swap transmission choices. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 swap transmission choices.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug
I used the A9P mustang ECM
Throw out bearing S614014 Advance auto
Pressure plate CF360049 Centerforce
Clutch plate chevy 11" CF383735
M.O.R.E bushing kit BA-200 to make motor mounts
Tellico 4x4 ax-15 adaptor plate $252
Ford truck bell housing 81-93 f series 4.9, 5.0 or 5.8 the same
fly wheel 302 84 or newer balance external 164 T 50 oz
summit racing radiator 22"x19" $159
and a few pics
Holy sh*t man that's awesome!! Thank you so much.
Question: why the A9P? I was under the impression the A9L was the way to go? Also what did you do about VSS? Thanks!

Unread 06-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #17
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you went with the t18 you could always look into a overdrive adapter or extension to the back of the transfer case.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I was looking for a A9L but the research I did showed the A9P was just as good if not better. I have never had any issues with this ECM and the VSS has never
been hooked up. Clutch! The Tilton master cylinder works great also. This will be my 4th summer with the 5.0 we run the dunes here at silver lake. I got the 5.0
out of a 99 explorer its a sweet runner. I don't think you can go wrong with a t-18 or ax-15 I had the 2.5 and I'm still running the old fuel pump with no issues. A
lot of the parts came from the junk yard . I used a taurus fan out of a 3.8 low and high speed moves lots of air. My good friend installed a Dakota 2750 fan controller
for me and it works great.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I was looking for a A9L but the research I did showed the A9P was just as good if not better. I have never had any issues with this ECM and the VSS has never
been hooked up. Clutch! The Tilton master cylinder works great also. This will be my 4th summer with the 5.0 we run the dunes here at silver lake. I got the 5.0
out of a 99 explorer its a sweet runner. I don't think you can go wrong with a t-18 or ax-15 I had the 2.5 and I'm still running the old fuel pump with no issues. A
lot of the parts came from the junk yard . I used a taurus fan out of a 3.8 low and high speed moves lots of air. My good friend installed a Dakota 2750 fan controller
for me and it works great.
Interesting that you chose an OBDII gt40P motor, my research told me that best choice was a a9l mustang 89-92 mass air motor. Least wiring to deal with and manual transmission compatible from the get go. Any particular reason, or just availability. And I have to measure for the radiator, my YJ is getting a CJ front clip, so the dimensions may be off slightly from yours.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The reason you use the newer motor is that they have better heads and intake system. Explorer OBDII parts are not used at all. I used all 89-92 mass air parts
My rotor assembly is off a crown vic along with a few mustang transplant parts. Most older mustang motors have been beat on. I believe the 5.0 was used in the explorer
until 2001.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
The reason you use the newer motor is that they have better heads and intake system. Explorer OBDII parts are not used at all. I used all 89-92 mass air parts. Most older mustang motors have been beat on.
Agreed on the abuse issue, however; the 89-92 engines were made with forged bottom ends from the factory, much stronger. After that they were all hypereutectic alumimum.
So you are effectively running the motor as an OBDI system then? How did you intergrate your a9p with your motor with all the OBDII componentry? As far as the P heads, from what i can tell it drastically limits you on your header options, how'd you fare on that issue? I'm going to run full length headers either way, I'm actually leaning towards one of those builders kits that just supplies the flages, collectors, and a bunch of pipes and bends. I'd ideally like to run outside my framerails all the way back past the tub. Preliminary measurments have me at 2"-2"1/2" true duals with the low profile Cherry Bomb 24" glasspacks. No cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
I used all 89-92 mass air parts
My rotor assembly is off a crown vic along with a few mustang transplant parts.
Can you elaborate on this? Which parts from a mustang, and how did you intergrate the mass air setup and crown vic parts? I know that the factory Ford power steering pumps are worthless, I was going to go ahead and switch out for a Saginaw right off the bat to save myself the issue of turning 35's day in and day out (with a 99 Durango HD box).

Sorry if I'm being a pain in the a** man, I just want all my ducks in a row on this. I'd rather not be balls deep in the assembly and realize some oversight is about to cost me lots of time and even more money, I've been there too many times

Thanks again brother!
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go to the RJM injection technologies web site with pics along with following info

RJM 5.0L EFI Harness Compatibility List
RJM harness is setup for 1989-93 Mustang engines, others may require changes.

Every computer has a main ID sticker on the connector.
The best computers are 1988-93 Mustang mass air:
A9L / A3M / A3M1 / S0Z / D3D1 / A9S / 8LD
A9P / C3W / C3W1 / A9M / A9T / 8LF / 8LG

The 1993 Cobra computer X3Z will work, but it has some driveability quirks and needs a special MAF sensor.

Some 1986-91 speed density computers from 5.0L Ford cars will work, but are not ideal for modified engines.

1994-95 Mustang computers will not work.

No truck computers will work.

The upper intake needs to point the throttle body towards the passenger side like below:

RJM 5.0L harness is setup for the early 1985-93 TPS connector, you can custom order any of the later connectors.

Crown vic part
The distributor must have the TFI Ignition Module mounted on the side. If you only have a pigtail coming out of the distributor, you need to get the other style. You can find the correct distributor on 1986-93 Ford cars and Trucks. Make sure the gear is correct for your camshaft.

RJM 5.0L harness is setup for the 1989-95 MAF connector, you can custom order any of the other connectors, but the MAF sensor must be programmed into the 1989-93 Mustang computer. If you are not using 19lb orange fuel injectors the MAF should be recalibrated or computer reprogrammed.

RJM 5.0L harness is setup for the early 1989-93 Fox body Mustang connectors, you can custom order any of the later connectors. If you got your fuel injection parts from something other than a 1989-93 Fox body Mustang you'll need to check these connectors as well.
distributors.gif  
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
Nope, I'm not even considering an automatic. The decrease in difficulty in the swap process will be offsed one thousand times by how much less fun it is to drive daily and on the trails. I'm a banger guy, always have been, life's more fun that way.
I am too, but I'm using a 92 5.0 fuelie setup, C6, NP208 and I really love it. At first I wasn't thrilled with the C6, but now I wouldn't have a manual. Especially if I was gonna drive in stop and go traffic.
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks spark plug. Yeah I've read through all the RJM stuff, definitely a great source. Did you just pull the whole dizzy from a Vic? What year? And how did you know it would work? That's the kind of stuff that gets me. And I know some 302's had different firing orders than others, no idea when and what though. Little things like that are what can squelch a project real fast if you're not ready for them, hence all the interrogation. I appreciate it all though.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the whole thing
distributors.gif  
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes the whole thing
How did you know what year/model dizzy to pull? As far as teeth and synchronization goes that is. There's quite a few 302 variants out there from the Vic's to the LTDs to TBirds and they've all got their own setups. And you have an expo motor on top of that, which adds another element to it all. I'm just curious. Or will ANY 89-92 dizzy unit work??
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just found one that looked like the pic in that year range 86-93 and put it in. Not sure of the exact year anymore.
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. THanks again for all the info man, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.