v8 swap help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > v8 swap help

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
rap169

v8 swap help

need some help with a v8 swap. Heres the problem. Its an 88 wrangler that was a 6cyl ba-10/5 its a bare frame and im tring to instally my chevy 350 v8 attached to a ax-15. For some crazy reason no matter how much i try to center the engine, the ax15 is offset towrads the passenger side. is this normal? or should the transmission output shaft be centered in the frame? Its hard for me to tell if its right since the skid and mount are from the ba-10. from what ive found on the net the engine should be centered. Is that correct?

rap169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It could be off center towards the passenger side an inch or two. To keep the drive line straight. front to back. you will more than likely set the engine over a little to clear your steering any way.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

On YJ's the D35 pinion is offset slightly to the passenger side so that is correct
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about stock locations side to side wise, but:

If your engine is centered and the transmission is offset to one side, the transmission mount is offset. This puts the engine/trans in the vehicle crooked.

Doing a swap, pretty much everything is variable, but the power train should be straight in the vehicle. The engine may be offset to one side or the other, but the whole engine/trans/Xfr case assembly has to move, not just the engine. If the crank snout is centered in the frame, then the trans output should also be centered. It may mean you have to fab a trans or Xfr case mount to make it line up but that's what you have to do.

If the stock trans/Xfr case mount has an offset, and you want to keep it in the stock location, then you need to offset the motor to match the offset of the trans.

A lot of motors aren't centered in the frame rails, for a variety of reasons, but they are always straight(parallel) in the frame.

Hope that helps
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
rap169

thanks everyone. Yeah i thought the same thing that all the the drivetrain should be strait. But i did find somewhere on the net that the stock drivetrain is offset about an inch towards the pass side. so i think im gonna offset the engine to the pass side about 1" and madify the skid plate/trans mount.
rap169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.