V8 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 Swap

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Why Buy Brakes From 1A Auto?ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
golfer080
1989 YJ Wrangler 

V8 Swap

I am looking for some help. I am planning to do an engine swap with a 350 out of a 2001 Suburban 1500. My question is about keeping the fuel injection with the computer or converting to a carburetor set up. If I keep the computer I can go ahead and use the whole drive-train. Mechanically I can handle the swap but the electronics scare me a little as I have never had to deal with them. I need to know what are the pitfalls of both and is there any help out there to guide me through the process. Project is still over a month away but I am trying to get all my ducks in a row. The Jeep is a 89 YJ. The previous owner had already done a half *** engine swap with a 2.8l V6 out of a 86 Chevy S10 with a AX5 trans out of an 86 Jeep Cherokee. After some work on my part it has served me well for the last 3 yrs but the transmission is stating to go and it's time for the upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

golfer080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

it will be easier to keep the efi. depending on your budget there are turnkey wiring packages

its not as daunting as you fear and there is plenty of guidance available online
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You will be much happier keeping the FI setup with the motor. Since you said 01 Suburban, I take it it's a 5.3? Like plym49 said, you can buy a Painless harness ($$$) or if you get the wiring harness with the engine you can ship it to Wayne Hartwig on Pirate4x4 and have the harness customized to your specs while he tunes your PCM. You will have a few wires to hook up (power to PCM, starter, fuel pump from PCM, torque converter unlock etc.).

/f12 Moab Trip
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

The chevy wiring swap is very easy.. Just a couple of wires that need to be spliced in or ran to a switch and the engine will run..

You will have the pass lock or sentry key deal on it. That can be gotten around with either moving the steering column wires over to the jeep, or send the ECM off to have a tuner turn the security off. Its about 75 bucks to have it removed and that is what I would do..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
golfer080
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey all. Thanks for the help. I feel silly but the guy that is giving me the Suburban just told me it's 1991, not a 2001. Same questions
Unread 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tune port or throttle body injection? If tune port then that's fine and there's still plenty of help avaliable online. If it's throttle body injection I'd either pass and find a tune port or multi port injected engine. I'm not too familiar with GM engines being a Mopar/Ford guy but stay the heck away from anything that has opti-spark, it is terrible and regularly fails from moisture on street vehicles, in an off-road application it would be a terrible idea unless you live in the desert.

Always go fuel injected. It's a thousand times better and isn't nearly as difficult as some people make it out to be.
Unread 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

x2. An old TBI 350? I'd pass on the swap

/f12 Moab Trip
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Jeepsr4me

I on the other hand say that the 350 TBI is the BEST thing for a YJ... SUPER easy to swap in and only like 3 wires. AND NO PASS LOCK or security crap.

Very powerful over what jeep has to offer and very tough..... The package even with a auto trans and 231C is still shorter than jeep drivetrain.. I just pulled this set up and installed in a YJ last month... VERY easy to do.

So the 91 to me is GREAT..... But what do i know I only do this for a living.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
x2. An old TBI 350? I'd pass on the swap
Hey my old TBI 350 keeps blowing transmissions so... I think they're fine.. Very simple and few wires like jeepr said

sent from my phone because I'm not turtley enough for the turtle club.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
I on the other hand say that the 350 TBI is the BEST thing for a YJ... SUPER easy to swap in and only like 3 wires. AND NO PASS LOCK or security crap.

Very powerful over what jeep has to offer and very tough..... The package even with a auto trans and 231C is still shorter than jeep drivetrain.. I just pulled this set up and installed in a YJ last month... VERY easy to do.

So the 91 to me is GREAT..... But what do i know I only do this for a living.
This guy gets it.

The 5.7 TBI motors are dead reliable and very inexpensive to build or maintain. The TBI injection and heads do not make the most power or the absolute best economy, but they are about the best price-performer you can imagine.

Also, the 91 motor actually has a distributor in case you decide to run a carb. The 91 motor is easy to convert to carb. A 2001 motor, not so much.

The 91 motor gives ultimate flexibility. Keep the TBI (easy and cheap). Make it carb'd. (Easy and cheap.) Upgrade to multi-port injection. (Easy and cheap.)

Do you detect the pattern?
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can also slap some vortec heads on the TBI and boom more power. I love my TBI.

sent from my phone because I'm not turtley enough for the turtle club.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 92 TBI that will be going in my next build. You can't go wrong with the simplicity of a TBI 350. Like you, I was extremely intimidated by the wiring when I swapped in the 5.2 into my Jeep. Once you get some good schematics and some patience it's not the bad. If anything, it is a good project to expand your capabilities.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I understand what you're all getting at with the TBI argument but I still vote MPFI for several reasons. If you're really that intimidated by the wiring and electrical systems..... then good! None of us got any better at working on our cars by not doing things. I remember my first brake job, I was terrified! You gain confidence as you go, larger and larger tasks become easier, you gain more confidence in yourself and your work; this is how you become a better mechanic. Electrical systems are no different. Get the schematic, hit the internet, read read read! Call a buddy to help. Shoot, there's even forum members that will make you a harness for your application for a heck of a lot cheaper than a company like painless.

1980's Carbeurated SBC's made around 160 horsepower.
Throttle Body Injection 350's made about 210 horsepower.
Tune Port motors were rated between 230-250 horsepower depending on year of build.

Now look at a first generation LS1 from 1997 which makes 345 horsepower.

Going with a newer MPFI engine might me a little more work off the bat, but you are rewarded with more power, more efficiency, better performance, infinately better tuning capabilities, an OBDII system that can be read for engine faults or data logging; and I know that junk yards by me are now overflowing with totaled LS-based cars and want less than $1000 from intake to pan, with the harness.

Is it marginally more effort? Sure. But you're talking a few hundred bucks max of price difference and a few hours getting to know an electrical schematic for an ROI of over 180 horsepower over one of those old tired 80s carb'd engines.
Unread 01-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
golfer080
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Again, thanks for the help and advice. I agree that you can't get better at anything if you don't do it. The main reason for the swap now, (besides the fact that I want a V8) is the engine and transmission are in perfect shape and not costing me a dime. This is my daily driver so the time it takes to complete the swap is also taken into consideration. I can always add power later if wanted. Keep any tips and advice coming as the donor Suburban is being delivered in just over 2 weeks.
Unread 01-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post

1980's Carbeurated SBC's made around 160 horsepower.
Throttle Body Injection 350's made about 210 horsepower.
Tune Port motors were rated between 230-250 horsepower depending on year of build.

Now look at a first generation LS1 from 1997 which makes 345 horsepower.
Stock Jeep 4.2 - 112 horse power
4.0 - maybe 160

The TBI is a pretty noticeable increase, But as Warthog said there are many advantages of going with new technology. I wish my 5.2 was OBDII so I had some tuning capabilities and may at some point change it over.

I believe the OP said he already has or is getting the engine dirt cheap, which for many of us is always important. I picked up my 350 for $100 and can put a few dollars into it and make plenty of power. Would I rather run an LS engine? Of course I would, but don't think I will find one for $100.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.