V8 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 Swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

V8 Swap

Ok guys, Im going to swap in a 5.2 V8 and have done some searching around about the swap but I cant find anyhting to do with the fuel injection. I ask because im rockin the old school carb and will be switching to FI with the new engine. What do I need and what should I look for? Also im picking up a 5.2 out of a dodge durango what else should I grab with it?

Thanks!

P.S.
If you know of a good write up send it my way. I need the help!

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what year is your jeep? auto or stick? OBD1 or OBD2? what do you have now 4cyl or 6 cyl?

You need to give people more information because everything you have, or want to have, affects how you do the swap.
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I was at work and wasn't paying much attention to my post.
-87 Jeep YJ I6, 4.2. its a stick and im pretty sure its RENIX. I Just broke a wrist pin and need to replace the engine. Going to swap in a 5.2 V8. Im mainly concerned about it being carbed and not FI.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

no worries. If you had a ax-15 you could swap the bell housing. I'm not sure how you can use your current tranny unless you went with an AMC v8 like a 304 or 360. Do you have to smog your jeep in idaho?
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I should mention I have the Ax-15. Im not worried about the fitment or anything like that just going from Carb to FI.

Unread 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Durango bell housing from a mid 90s v6 will mate the engine to your trans. Get the computer with the donor motor. I have a TON of 5.2 swap threads saved on my comp that answer all your questions. I will forward them to you when I get home.

Can't wait to do this swap with you. Its the first thing I will be doing when I get my hands on a new yj! My level of excitement can only be described as equal or greater than having sex for the first time haha!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Durango bell housing from a mid 90s v6 will mate the engine to your trans. Get the computer with the donor motor. I have a TON of 5.2 swap threads saved on my comp that answer all your questions. I will forward them to you when I get home.

Can't wait to do this swap with you. Its the first thing I will be doing when I get my hands on a new yj! My level of excitement can only be described as equal or greater than having sex for the first time haha!

Cheers
Hell yeah! Im pretty pumped! I just brought the heep back home tonight. Once I get my hands on the engine ill order the mounts for it and begin the tear down of the old one. Im going to attempt to part it out, not a whole lot there but the carb and valve cover is worth something. Thanks again dude

ill have cold PBR waiting!

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R View Post

Hell yeah! Im pretty pumped! I just brought the heep back home tonight. Once I get my hands on the engine ill order the mounts for it and begin the tear down of the old one. Im going to attempt to part it out, not a whole lot there but the carb and valve cover is worth something. Thanks again dude

ill have cold PBR waiting!
Haha thanks man. May as well order the mounts soon as you can.

Oh and that 4.2 has more value than you think. Even blown up I bet you can get 400 for it. Someone will either want to rebuild it or use it with a 4.0 to build a 4.6 stroker. I would put it on CL for 400obo and be patient. It may end up paying for that 5.2....

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Haha thanks man. May as well order the mounts soon as you can.

Oh and that 4.2 has more value than you think. Even blown up I bet you can get 400 for it. Someone will either want to rebuild it or use it with a 4.0 to build a 4.6 stroker. I would put it on CL for 400obo and be patient. It may end up paying for that 5.2....

Cheers
HHMMMM good call! I didnt think it was worth much. Ill throw it up and see what we can get outa it.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I will be keeping an eye on this thread I recently been having a knock problem with my 4.2 also. I was scrounging cl the other day and found a 5.2 out of a grand cherokee for $250 and now im starting to think about swapping it in. My biggest concern is having to replace my drivelines since I dont want to spend the monies on new ones.Haha if not I will still plan on building my 4.7 stroker, since I already have a 4.0 and 4.2 blocks. Oh and Sparrows share the wealth brotha with the 5.2 swap threads im on the hunt now. If all I got to do is swap a bellhousing im game.
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
I will be keeping an eye on this thread I recently been having a knock problem with my 4.2 also. I was scrounging cl the other day and found a 5.2 out of a grand cherokee for $250 and now im starting to think about swapping it in. My biggest concern is having to replace my drivelines since I dont want to spend the monies on new ones.Haha if not I will still plan on building my 4.7 stroker, since I already have a 4.0 and 4.2 blocks. Oh and Sparrows share the wealth brotha with the 5.2 swap threads im on the hunt now. If all I got to do is swap a bellhousing im game.

Yeah at this point my YJ still runs but sounds like a rattle can... So Sparrows talked me into the V8 swap. I mean ya might as well if your going to tear your engine apart any way.
Iv always wanted to have a big engine and do it myself, heres my chance! Good luck man, and update us as you go if you do.

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A Lot of us have done the Mopar Magnum V8 swap.
I've done 2.
The only thing I think you'll have to sort out that I don't have an answer for is the fuel pump.
Can you get a later EFI pump/tank?
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just think of it this way, fuel injection is just another method of putting gas into the cylinders. All you really need is the right pressure at the rails and the computer/wiring to make the injectors work. Simple solution is to get an in tank fuel pump from a fuel injected YJ which will give you the proper pressure. I'm not sure if the fuel tanks are physically different, but you may have to buy a tank also if they are. You'll need a regulated fuel rail for your 5.2 and a return line back to the tank. Pre-96 engines should have the regulated fuel rail you need. You will most likely need to wire in a new fuel pump relay too. Relays are pretty simple though, just do your homework.

Next step is to study the wiring diagrams (hopefully you have a factory service manual for the donor engine). You'll see that you just need a computer and the right fuses, relays, and wires to make it all come alive. Sounds simple, and it's a little daunting at first, but with some studying and understanding of how all the circuits work, it becomes manageable. First diagram to look at is the bulkhead on the donor harness. Identify all the wires exiting the harness and match them to the corresponding wires on the YJ. Colors won't be the same generally, but their functions will match.

Hope that gives you a general idea of the process.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R View Post
Ok guys, Im going to swap in a 5.2 V8 and have done some searching around about the swap but I cant find anyhting to do with the fuel injection. I ask because im rockin the old school carb and will be switching to FI with the new engine. What do I need and what should I look for? Also im picking up a 5.2 out of a dodge durango what else should I grab with it?

Thanks!

P.S.
If you know of a good write up send it my way. I need the help!
im doing the opposite im going from fi to carb with a 350
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.