V8.. To Be Or Not To Be - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8.. To Be Or Not To Be

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
ChrisNukemYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

V8.. To Be Or Not To Be

Considering doing a V8 swap. What would be the "easyist" to do? Meaning I dont want to have to do a ton of cutting, fabing. Something i can do in my driveway pretty much...

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ChrisNukemYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
stevehoj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know I say the same thing each time....but an AMC v8 (stock 304 - 401 cid) bolts up to pre-AMC I6 combinations. The AX-15 is up to the task for a reasonable power combo.

Some normal accessories to consider but nothing very $$ or difficult. I would call it easy.

Think about it with the rest of the combo though; axles, shafts, joints, lift, tire diameter & weight, etc.....

Good luck.
08 Tundra CrewMax TRD 5.7, 07 Jeep GC-SRT8, 01 Lightning (sold), 96 Impala SS (sold), 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold), 90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060), 71 Formula 400 (sold), 72 Formula 350 (sold), 71 Firebird 350 (sold), 69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)
stevehoj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Build a stroker
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mopar LA small block (273, 318/5.2, 340, 360/5.9) are a bolt in with a dodge dakota/ram bellhousing to AX15.

ETA: for those that get confused, bolt to the transmission! NOT TO THE FRAME.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

carburated or EFI? Id say EFI is awesome but Carburated is much easier.i have a dodge 318 bolted tot he stock auto tranny really wish it was EFI though.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
carburated or EFI? Id say EFI is awesome but Carburated is much easier.i have a dodge 318 bolted tot he stock auto tranny really wish it was EFI though.
+1 SMPFI is the way to go!
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well I put a 5.2(318) with the 4 spd auto out of a 94 grand cherokee in mine. done it in the driveway started on a thursday night after work and was driving it sunday afternoon. wiring for the efi was a direct match with the 92 cherokee wiring id previously installed in a 4.0 head swap. other than motor mounts it was a bolt in swap. totally happy with it dont regret any of it. cost me $800 key is planning and prep everything before hand
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , engine swap , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.