V8 into a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 into a YJ?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Jeepcanada
1991 YJ Wrangler 

V8 into a YJ?

I've seen Jeep YJ's advertised on eBay with a V8 stuffed under the hood... Now I'm wondering if it is an easy swap and what major work needs to happen before the engine can go in. Let's assume that the Jeep doesn't have to pass any emissions tests afterwards...

Jeepcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Stuffing a V8 under the hood is fairly simple if you have fabrication skills. The problem lies in making it work. The cooling system needs upgrading. The stock transmission must be adapted or replaced. The rear axle will not survive long. The fuel system must be adapted. The gauges have to be hooked into the new sensors, and the starter & alternator must be adapted into the vehicles wiring harness. And if it's Fuel Injected, you need to wire a complete engine harness.

It's certainly do-able, and if you keep it carburated it's much simpler. Personally I'd love to get a complete powertrain from a 5.3 Chev, with their 5 speed automatics. It's a LOT of wiring but do a bit at a time and keep it simple, and you've got 315hp/338tq and better fuel mileage. Swap an 8.8 in the rear to match your upgraded D30 front and it's good to go.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
stevehoj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a 4.0 / 4.2, an AMC V8 almost "bolts in" with ancillary support systems only to optimize. I went the 401 route (+ 0.060" - 413 cid).

Of course, there are upgrades to come depending on your intent and how aggressive with the accelerator.
08 Tundra CrewMax TRD 5.7, 07 Jeep GC-SRT8, 01 Lightning (sold), 96 Impala SS (sold), 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold), 90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060), 71 Formula 400 (sold), 72 Formula 350 (sold), 71 Firebird 350 (sold), 69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)
stevehoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
czjeeper
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My opinion only, but I wouldn't bother w/any type of engine swap if it didn't include fuel injection.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Start reading here.

After you have finished with that, read some more here.

Then try here for more info.

5.3 Swap

And another

Depending on which motor you go with will determine the amount of work involved. They will all require motor mounts, adapters and welding. I am running a 2008 5.3 with the 4l60e trans. It took three months to finish the swap and another month to work out some bugs.
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i am starting a 302 swap but i am carb'd currently (87 yj) and putting in a carb'd 302 from a bronco so mine will be the easiest type of swap.

too bad i am such a procrastinator. i probably could have had this swap done at the beginning of summer but now summer's over and still not even started

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I "was" in the process of dropping in my 5.7 TBI (currently torn down for rebuild) and 60e out of my '95 burb, but now I'm going to go with a lower mileage LQ4 or 9. More powerful AND better fuel economy, and ODB II to boot.

I gotta agree, need the fuel injection if you plan to do any off reading that includes ascents and decents. All told, TBI is probably the easiest fuel injection you can do. No high angle fuel starvation, no electronic issues.

After owning a Denali for a few years, I just want the 6L in there...

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.