V8 Engine Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 Engine Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I pledge allegiance to no automaker.
They all have the same flaw.
They are man made.
Nothing man made is perfect, nor will it last forever.

Unread 10-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The looks on peoples face when they say ,"oh chevy 350 huh?" And i say.. "**** no its not a chevy!"
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The looks on peoples face when they say ,"oh chevy 350 huh?" And i say.. "Hell yeah its a chevy!"
To me it is not about being like or unlike others. I couldn't care less what other people think of me or my machine. All that matters is what YOU think of YOUR machine, and that it puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. I am not too proud to listen to the advice of people with more experience and/or expertise than myself (high on that list is NOVAK).

Sure, people have stuffed just about everything imaginable into a jeep but there are many good reasons why the 350 is by far the most popular swap for a jeep. It works well, is a great motor, is well documented and well supported and is among the most cost effective swaps for the jeep just to name a few. I do what makes sense to me and if people don't like my 350 well......eat my dust!
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #19
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just a Mopar guy so... yeah. Some people build a tube buggy around a SBC, I'd build one around a 5.9 magnum. As long as you don't put a damn flowcrapper behind the engine, doesn't really matter all that much to me.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #20
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I'm just a Mopar guy so... yeah. Some people build a tube buggy around a SBC, I'd build one around a 5.9 magnum. As long as you don't put a damn flowcrapper behind the engine, doesn't really matter all that much to me.
I love my Flowcrapper 40
and (now that it's running finally) also love my SBC.... but I'm not brand partial... I'm money partial

I'd LOVE to jam an original HEMI in there but then there's the money issue LOL
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is a lot to do with an engine swap. It also depends on how clean u want the install to be also. Now that I have done a swap, I could do it again faster and cheaper. I think around 3k is a good idea of price IF u do all the work yourself and have the tools/ knowledge to do it. If u don't, then the price just keeps going up.
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
I love my Flowcrapper 40
and (now that it's running finally) also love my SBC.... but I'm not brand partial... I'm money partial

I'd LOVE to jam an original HEMI in there but then there's the money issue LOL

I can tell you this, sometimes it's really hard to be a Mopar fan. Some of the **** Chrysler does just... I don't even know.

An accurate representation of me when working on a Mopar vehicle.

A 426 Hemi would be real nice though.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
cryder44
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed!

[QUOTE=Maine1994ZJ;16838849]Personally, I would think your best fit would be a '93-'95 V8 Grand Cherokee drivetrain transplant.
You'll be looking at a higher number of interchangeable parts(more so than SBC/SBF).
You can buy a rustbucket V8 ZJ donor for about $500 or so, swap the NP249(unless you get one with a good viscous coupling) for the NP231 you have(don't forget to swap the input shaft from the 249, cause the one in your 231 is too short), use both your stock front and rear drive shafts, it comes with all the necessary wiring and sensors that you need, plus you'll have a built in spot for your A/C to OBA compressor swap.

This is what I'm planning for my YJ within the next few years.
Sounds like less B.S. to me than looking for THIS part to make THAT part bolt up, etc., etc....

Also,
No offense, but I'm a firm believer in:
Chevy engines belong in Chevys, and Ford engines belong in Fords.[/
QUOTE]

Nice!
cryder44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #24
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Not to highjack but...

What have I missed with "Flowcrapper"? Im getting ready to put exhaust on my freshly swapped 5.9 and I was thinking 50 series? Bad idea? Im looking for a nice smooth sounding exhaust. Not some hotrod thats loud and annoying.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what are the emissions requirements for your area before you look at swapping?

i skimmed the thread so if you guys covered it already, i missed it.

since your jeep is a 95, your inspection requirements would be that you need to meet the emissions requirement for a 95. something to think about if you live in an area that checks that stuff.

i put a 302 into my 87 yj and used the ford c6 and np208 (or whatever the ford tcase is). i lost about 40 pounds in weight from the 4.2 and gained about 3" of space in length. i used the jeep wires and just hooked them up to the spots on the ford 302. jeep fired right up. i also used the stock radiator and have no cooling issues. the stock auto shift linkage also hooked to the c6 so the jeep looks stock from in the cab, no floor shifter or weird looking stuff in there.

i have spent about 6 months because i only work on it every other saturday or every third saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.