V8 Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 Engine Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
ecu2005

V8 Engine Swap

I need suggestions on engine swaps...wanting to take out 2.5 liter and drop a V8 in my 1995 YJ Rio Grande...need help

ecu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

any brand preference? how do you mostly use your YJ? do you want an auto trans or manual? what's your skill level?

a chevy 5.7L (350) will be your most common, and being most common for swaps, available support is probably best for a Chevy transplant. Replacement parts (both the stock and performance varieties) are plentiful and relatively inexpensive (compared to Ford or Mopar, though Ford isn't too far behind with the 302 and 351)

of course you could go small block ford or mopar. certainly they are available, and enough swaps of these have been done that you SHOULD be able to find information if you need.

one thing you WILL need in addition to the obvious is a replacement rear axle... a Ford Explorer 8.8 or stronger to be able to handle the power/torque of the bigger motor.
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^ What he said

Need more info for suggestions.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Budget?

I put a mild mopar 360 la in my yj. Love it. I run a standalone computer so no carburetor.
Plato2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Chevy 350 damm near falls in by itself. Melt some new mounts on, give her some fuel, hook up a few wires and bada-bing bada-bang fire that chit up!
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
bashbro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dont mean to hijack, but what is the best way to procure a 5.7L/350? Obviously want to pull as much as possible out of one drive train. Been to a junkyard twice before looking for odds & ends but I would have a hard time knowing what to look for in a sea o scrap.

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-2004265/
bashbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
06-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

one thing you could do is find an older ford explorer with a v8 at junk yard, and pull its rear axle out with it. youll walk with a 8.8 axle and a v8 for pretty cheap.
06-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashbro View Post
Dont mean to hijack, but what is the best way to procure a 5.7L/350? Obviously want to pull as much as possible out of one drive train. Been to a junkyard twice before looking for odds & ends but I would have a hard time knowing what to look for in a sea o scrap.
Buy a whole truck with the engine and transmission combo you're looking for.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Swapping in a v8 is not for an in-experienced diyer.
Not only will the engine be swapped, the trans as well. Then, with your 21-spline input tcase (due to being a 4cyl YJ) will more than likely require adapters to mate to new 4wd trans, or swapped as well. Then with all this swapped - motor and trans mounts will be required (might as well do skid plate separate from crossmember) driveshafts, cooling (radiator), electronics (ecm, fuel pump), and then adaptation to ps box with hoses.
As others have eluded, the stock axles won't hold well to a heavier and higher hp/tq driveline. So those will require swap out, but with a heavier driveline, the front suspension will show it. This requires lift. So basically, you start off with a basic 4cyl stock YJ (or slightly mod'd), then you get yourself into at least $4-5k in additions to get the engine/driveline with all its collateral effects it has. With all this, don't forget tires and wheels, brakes, steering, lockers, gears, shocks, that will associate to axle swaps. All this is dependent on the level(s) you mod each aspect of the swap. There are areas where its not required, but in time, you will be doing the additional mod anyways, ie, you can swap in a 8.8 from explorer and keep the front D30 - this matches lug pattern so your current wheels will swap along with the tires.

Find a 4x4 shop in your local area. Owners there usually have a v8 swapped into their own vehicle play vehicle (and probably a Jeep). They can show you their build, what they fixed, mod'd, shoe-horned, etc and give you a realistic cost to doing all this as a shop.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Concur with Mike. I opted to work with Novak Conversions to source an engine and get most of what I needd for the engine swap. I had a local guy to a dyno tune on the 4.8L LR4 I swapped in as well as a local exhaust shop run the custom exhaust needed. Novak, however, will get the reflash close on the PCM if you do not have a dyno near you. Novak made the conversion possible in 6 weeks as opposed to 6 months to a year if you sourced everything yourself. You do, however, pay a little convenience fee to have them source most of what you will need but I say it is worth it. I would say there package has about 90% of the swap figured out. They have come a long way in their complete package offering since I worked with them like a PCM bracket option, improved pilot bearing, and improved radiator and radiator bracket design. The big effort is wiring, mainly, if you go fuel injected but is a breeze if you have the factory service manual wiring diagrams. Prior to the swap, however, I upgraded the rear end and transmission in preparation for the swap. Was completely worth it as I had the 2.5L prior. In the end, the only way this is really worth it is if you plan on keeping your jeep for the forseeable future. Otherwise, just buy one with a 6 cylinder as that is a cheaper route in the long run given the expense and time needed to do the swap.

Jim
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

6 months to a year is a bit of a stretch, I had mine driving to the exhaust shop in about 3 months, and I sourced everything myself once I had the stock Chevy drivetrain.

And on the weight issue, there is none. I actually shaved off some weight from my old 4.2. The difference is negligable.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Personally, I would think your best fit would be a '93-'95 V8 Grand Cherokee drivetrain transplant.
You'll be looking at a higher number of interchangeable parts(more so than SBC/SBF).
You can buy a rustbucket V8 ZJ donor for about $500 or so, swap the NP249(unless you get one with a good viscous coupling) for the NP231 you have(don't forget to swap the input shaft from the 249, cause the one in your 231 is too short), use both your stock front and rear drive shafts, it comes with all the necessary wiring and sensors that you need, plus you'll have a built in spot for your A/C to OBA compressor swap.

This is what I'm planning for my YJ within the next few years.
Sounds like less B.S. to me than looking for THIS part to make THAT part bolt up, etc., etc....

Also,
No offense, but I'm a firm believer in:
Chevy engines belong in Chevys, and Ford engines belong in Fords.
Jeeps are addictive and there is no cure!!! Green Jeep Club #401
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/george-weezy-movin-up-1716906/
Maine1994ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im not against a Magnum swap, but saying someone should stick with a Mopar engine for that reason only is silly. Are all of your upgrades genuine Mopar? Does it not apply to my YJ because it is a mutt that was made by AMC?

August YJOTM

Unread 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Im not against a Magnum swap, but saying someone should stick with a Mopar engine for that reason only is silly. Are all of your upgrades genuine Mopar? Does it not apply to my YJ because it is a mutt that was made by AMC?

That was just my $0.02 on the SBC swap talk.
Mopar isn't YJ original either, but it seems like everyone wants to stick a SBC in anything with wheels.
Everyone has a SBC powered something-or-other.
I've seen 'em in everything from golf carts to motorcycles, and every custom street rod seems to have one under the hood.
Yeah they are cheap, easy to get power from on a budget, and reliable as any.
I just don't like to play like all the other kids on the playground.
Jeeps are addictive and there is no cure!!! Green Jeep Club #401
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/george-weezy-movin-up-1716906/
Maine1994ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can appreciate that.

SBCs are a good motor, but if you are gonna swap in a V8, it might as well be FI. And it might as well be a Vortec

August YJOTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.