V8 conversion running to hot! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 conversion running to hot!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is this engine equiped with a reverse rotation(serpentine belt) or standard rotation(v-belt) water pump? If the PO put the wrong pulley system on, your WP would be running backwards. I think it would be running hotter than it is if that was the case bit it's something to look at. 210 degrees isn't that hot but with a 160 thermostat in and good coolant and air flow, it should be able to run around 170 to 180 with no problem.

5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
owens261

The 350 is carbarated, I did not build the motor, they are aluminum heads on a cast iron block, not sure what cc chamber heads they are but they are flat top pistons. I run 93 octane and the electric fan is 2500 cfm.
owens261 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
owens261

That's just it that thermostat is a 160 the fan comes on at 180 and I can never get it back down cool enough to stop the fan.
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your timing 7 to 10 degrees before top dead center ( if I remember correct). Then if it is close to octane knock that can cause you to run hotter then need be. It will start good and run like a raped ape.

2 or 4 barrel carb ,too big or too small can cause what you describe. You might be running to lean. This easy to see look at your exhaust pipes black is normal but not with a build up( smooth looking) tanish to white would be too lean (this is great for fuel mileage) but not for keeping the engine in normal heat range.

if all the above is good then you might want to add an engine oil cooler to your jeep. They are good for a 10-20* lower temps.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
owens261

Is it sufficient to run with a large 2 coil radiator about 3 inches wide??????????????????????????????????
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens261 View Post
Is it sufficient to run with a large 2 coil radiator about 3 inches wide??????????????????????????????????
Huh???? what are you talking about???? An oil cooler? radiator? If the coolant running through a radiator to fast then you will over heat. Too many rows can be as bad as not enough.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.