V8 CJ drivetrain in a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 CJ drivetrain in a YJ

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 02-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

V8 CJ drivetrain in a YJ

I have access to a V* CJ that has been sitting for a few years but ran when parked so the drive train is good but the body has seen better days. I was thinking about taking it as a donor car and removing the entire drive train and putting it in my YJ. I was thinking about swapping out the 304, tranny (manual) and both rears but not sure if it would all fit. Anyone have any experience with this?

Lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is it a cj 5? And is it a narrow track cj or a wide track
jhartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you're looking to change everything over, might be easier in the long run to just put your YJs tub on the CJ chassis
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mot sure if its a narrow track or not. havent checked. need to go take a good look at it. Was trying to see if it's even worth the trouble. The frame is shot so changing the tub wouldnt help. My YJ is extremely clean and runs well but I would like to upgrade the grears and would like more power. PLus its an auto and I would perfer a manual. so my logic was thinking about taking the rears, tranny and motor and swapping them in. If there 2in leafs how would they bolt up to my 2 1/2's?
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion, but that's a lot of work for no fuel injection...
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Measure the axel length of the cj vs the yj some of the early cj's had narrower axels. It would probably be better to sell the cj them put the money into a 4.0 swap or get another 4.2 if your tranny is in good shape
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I agree with above, that is alot of project for no fuel injection. ALSO, check your local laws in regards to engine change outs. IIRC, alot of areas require you to swap equal year or newer unless its a classic car.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
jhartley
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also your going to need a clutch petal assembly for a yj whitch is hydraulic, cj's use a z-bar for a clutch linkage which is a pain in the butt. The cj I had, when I would pull into my driveway would flex enough to allow the clutch to engage when the petal was depressed. Sometimes made for an interesting stop, they make a hydraulic conversion kit for cj's. also is the Dana 20 axel on the cj's any better than the Dana 30's and 35's
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the great info. i'll need to get some more info on the cj before making any desicions

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.